starting Zoloft
I am on my 4th day of Zoloft.  I am jittery and more anxious than usual.  Will this go away?  How long before I can benefit from this drug?
Advice12 - Xanax used to make me fall asleep within five minutes of taking it.  I weighed about 125 pounds and was prescribed .25 mg.  Now, I weigh 210 pounds and take .50 mg and it never makes me very tired.  Maybe you could see about having the dose adjusted, or try taking half a pill.  Xanax is the only thing that has ever helped me when I'm really anxious.  To me, it's a miracle drug.  When I was on Lexapro for eight years and when it was doing it's job, I used less than two prescriptions that entire time. It may be enough to get you over the hurdle right now.  As for being embarrassed about the shakes, I would much rather not have anxiety, but that's just my opinion.  If it's still happening in a month I'd consider maybe changing drugs, but at this point, if you can handle it, I'd try to stick it out since you're seeing improvements with your anxiety.  

As for me, I feel worse on the Zoloft than I did off of it.  It's been almost two weeks and I'm terribly dizzy.  I have been running a fever for a month (my doc attributes that to not sleeping) and haven't felt the greatest so I'm not sure if it's because of the Zoloft, if there's something else going on with me, or if it's my anxiety.  

Nursegirl6572 - being that I was on Lexapro for eight years, and now on Zoloft, do you think I should be experiencing the dizziness?  I haven't noticed any improvement in my anxiety and my therapist said I should by now and that the only symptoms I should have from Zoloft should be physical.  She didn't think I should really be experiencing side effects since I was on Lexapro for so long.  I e-mailed my doc tonight, but haven't heard back yet.  
I was a lot skinner last year, so maybe that's why I was so sensitive to it.  I am still having the shakes... not sure how much longer I can put up with this!  I need the medicine, but this is annoying.  If I have to pick one or the other to deal with, I would pick shakes, but I can't stand my body shaking like this.  I feel depressed about it, but can't cry because the med is working.  LOL.  It has helped a lot with my mood, now if only I could ditch these shakes.  I'd be one happy girl.

I am not so sure that your dizziness isn't from switching meds.  I wonder if the Lexapro was stronger than the Zoloft and you feel a withdrawal.  That is only a guess.  Do you plan to wait a while longer to see if it goes away?
PLEASE, before you think about lowering your dose, or calling it quits with the Zoloft, at least have a discussion with your doc about trying an anti-anxiety med to help with the shakes.  He may recommend a lower dose of the Xanax, if you still have it, or perhaps Ativan.  You would only take it here and there.  You may need it like twice a day for a few weeks.  I think it will make a world of difference, allow you to tolerate the side effects a bit better while still giving the Zoloft a chance.

The reason I'm so insistant is because you ARE seeing positive improvements, which means it has already started working for you.  If you were complaining about some rare, random side effect I have never heard of, I wouldn't be so adamant about it, but several of us have shared that we experienced the same thing.  It's a pretty common side effect, and you're not far enough along to see a big improvement in the side effects.  You just increased your dose too, which, like I said, will extend the period of time for the side effects a bit.

PLEASE talk to your doctor.  Tell him the advice you've gotten here, see if he agrees, but also tell him the side effects are becoming hard to bear for you. Your doc will give you guidance on how to proceed.  I'm just HUGE on exhausting ALL possibilities with one med before starting over with another.  You've made it this far, I would hate to see you have to start this process over with a new med.  Say you did, and had the exact same side effects?  You'd have to endure everything all over again.  Sure, you may tolerate something else better, but like I said, you're already this far along....discuss this with your doc.  And, whatever you do, don't make any changes yourself.  Lert us know what the doc says..I'm pulling for you...I pray the side effects start to ease up so you don't have to be conflicted about what to do.

Hugs!
I do plan on sticking with the Zoloft, for at least another three weeks.  I just upped my dose to 50 mg two days ago, and I think I'm feeling more side effects (sweating more, nauseaus), so I'm hoping that it's the drug that is causing the dizziness also and that with time, these effects will subside.  I'm going to make an appointment with the doctor to see about this fever I've had for a month, as well as the dizziness, and if all is well, then I know it's just the drugs and hopefully I'll stop being so anxious about the way my head feels.  I think I'm actually feeling less anxious from whatever the cause of my anxiety was, but the side effects are causing me anxiety. My neighbor gave me a hug last night and she told me my body was so tense and she could feel me shaking.  I don't notice it myself, but obviously it must be a common side effect.  I hope that it wears off for you soon!!
I wanted to check in.  I am not getting relief from the shakes.  I feel miserable.  I have had some anxiety today too.  I want to feel better and not shake like this.  I can't handle it.  I want to live a normal life.  I am tired of having severe anxiety.  I do feel better, especially with my depression, but no where near as well as I had hoped to be at this point. I want my anxiety and shakes to go away.  I don't see how this could be a start up side effect any longer.  I started 25 mg two weeks ago and have been on the med 4 weeks this Friday.  I appreciate you two helping me through this.  I hope you are doing better, kickanxietysbutt.
I'm getting to the point you are.  I started Zoloft 17 days ago, and started the 50 mg tablet four days ago.  I do feel like maybe it's finally helping to make me feel a little less anxious, but the dizziness and headaches are terrible.  I also haven't noticed much of a difference when it comes to aiding my agoraphobia.  I just quit my job today and can't stand feeling so miserable anymore either.  Ugh...a couple more weeks for us??
I feel for you guysm, I know how awful it is to feel this way, and it really stinks that sometimes, we have to feel worse in order to feel better.  Advice12, I'm headed not to reply to your PM, please read it when you get a chance.

Hugs to both of you!
I am glad you are seeing a difference.  That is a good step.  Just think how you will feel 17 more days from now!  Now that you are not working you can take it easy while you let the medicine do its job. One day at a time.  I hope the headaches & dizziness get better.
I went back on 12.5 mg a couple nights ago.  My anxiety has picked up some.  I know I need more thatn 12.5 but my body can't tolerate it.  I am thinking about trying out a different medicine.  I am not sure if every SSRI would have this effect on me or not.  
It's very hard to distinguish between what is actual anxiety, and what may be side effects.  How's the tremors?

Another med may be helpful and easier to tolerate, it's hard to tell.  You know my take...I think you should give it another week or two, before making any changes.
The tremors are a little better.  I have been on 12.5 for several nights now.  I can tell I need the higher dose but can't handle the severe tremors.  I am feeling very frustrated.  
Advice12, what if you take the 12.5 for another week or so, and then increase again?  Today was the first day (day 20) since being on Zoloft that I didn't have a pounding headache!  I've been on an SSRI for over eight years and it's taken me this long for side effects to start subsiding from the Zoloft, so maybe it will just take another couple weeks for you.  
Thank you!  I plan to try out the 25 mg again soon, maybe next week.  I have noticed that my tremors are better since I lowered the dose.  If I go back up to 25 mg and cannot stop the shakes then I am going back to the doctor for a different med.  I HAVE to take something.  I can't live with anxiety and depression like this.  I am happy to see that your headache went away, good news!  What mg are you on?  I forgot.
That's great that the tremors are better.  Maybe your body just needs more time to adjust.  I had a very difficult time when I first went on SSRI's...it took three drugs and about six weeks before I finally started to feel better.  I started on 25 mg three weeks ago, and last week bumped up to 50 mg.
12.5 mg is doing nothing for my anxiety.  I can't physically handle anything higher & I still have a slight tremor.  I think I am going to ask my doctor about switching to something else.   I am glad you are seeing some improvements!  Are you still dizzy?
I am not sure how well the drug is working for me either.  I am still dizzy, which is causing me anxiety, but I also went from working, driving, doing errands, etc., to basically being agoraphobic in a matter of a few weeks.  I basically stay in bed all day, with the exception of maybe a few hours, so I'm sure that's not helping with the dizziness, but when I'm up and around I feel like I need to lie back down.  Sometimes I wonder if coming of the drugs all together would benefit me.  
Do you think the change of medicine was for the best?  Maybe you should go back on your previous medicine?  Being agoraphobis is horrible.  My anxiety is causing me to not want to do anything but stay home.  I hate it!
Today is the best day I've had in a few weeks, BUT, I forced myself to get out of bed, stay out of bed, and be more active.  I don't think the Lexapro was working anymore, or I'd not have gotten to the point I am now, so I don't think that switching was a bad thing, minus the dizziness.  I wonder how much of it is in my head, though, because I'm constantly thinking about it.  I saw your other post and that you're thinking about switching drugs.  Good luck!  I hope that you have better luck with the Celexa.  
Happy that you are feeling some relief!  =)
I had the shakes for about 2 weeks on 50 mg and they finally went away.
I had to stop it.  They never went away.  I started Lexapro.  
I am doing the same.  They're weaning me off and putting me back on the Lexapro.  I've been on it for two months now, but in the past several days the shaking has gone to my whole body and I can't use my hands to do certain things.  
I've been on Lexapro for 4 weeks.  I feel much better, as far as side effects.  I hope you have the same success this time around with Lexapro.  
Glad to hear you are having less side effects!  That's what I really liked about the drug....that and it's the only one I've had any success with so far.  I'm hoping that the couple months I've been off of it will be enough for it to hopefully start working again.  I hope a month from now, neither of us will be on this site anymore.  :)  
Just stumbled upon this discussion and it's pretty relevent to me right now.  I took Zoloft for 20 years and it was great.  I do recall some jitters, etc. at first but eventually it kicked in after about 8 weeks and at a dose of 200 mg.  I tapered back to 100 mg for the last 3 years and have been fine but I made the big mistake of tapering right off because I hadn't had a bit of anxiety or depression for years.  I was OK for about 3 months then the roof fell in on me and I was depressed again after a long illness.  My doc (who I have since left) put me on Lexapro (we call it Cipralex in Canada) and he thought it would be a better, newer drug.  Well, I hung in there through some awful days but it brought me back almost to normal but I haven't slept well on it and have felt anxious.  My psychaitrist finally made the decision with me to go back to Zoloft.  Duh!  He said it would be a "seamless" transition but it's been anything but.  I've been experiencing the tremors and nervousness and when he put me up to 200 mg I was crawling out of my skin.  I've cut back to 150 mg and the nervousness seems to be slowly getting a little better each day but it is still quite debilitating.  All I can say is that I plan on sticking it out with Zoloft as it worked so well for me in the past for depression and anxiety.  It just ***** having to go through a couple of weeks of hell for the nervousness to settle down.  He said I could take beta blockers to stop the trembling but it wouln't do much for the feeling of anxiety.  
I'm on a beta blocker already and the shaking was getting worse instead of better.  I'm the opposite of you...now I'm back on the Lexapro.  I hope you feel better again soon!
My name is manda I am 29 years old.  I have suffered with anxiety for 5 years and I am sick to death of it, I can't drink alcohol, socialise, exercise, have fun or be normal, I fear I'm going to die, I have a lot of these  up wanting thoughts, and I also have a fear of taking tablets and I have tried therapy and that doesn't work, so what can I do.  The more these thought carry on the more worried I'm going to get in the future. Will I ever be free of anxiety.
hi manda,
     you sure can be free of anxiety! you know, many patients take adderall with their zoloft, with good results. there are many depression and anxiety forums on the internet. the important thing is to keep telling your doctor how you feel, and after trying that for a while, if you feel your particular doctor is not working for you, try another, and if he doesn't work out for you, then try yet another, then another. there are a lot of fish in the sea. the sea is vast.
     Important to keep telling the doctor how you feel and your thoughts or ideas. The squeaky wheel always gets the grease. i wish you good luck with it and please never lose hope.
took my first half tab of Zoloft today and I feel sooo sick.. Nausea, dizzy, feel weak.. Admittedly I had these symptoms before I started, but it has made them worse...help? what should I do?
I just started taking zoloft as well. This is my second night and I can't sleep at all. I fell asleep the first night for like four hours and then when the medication wore off during the day I took a nap for an hour, but now I'm back to not sleeping. My doctor told me to take it at night. I feel sleepy but I just can't sleep. I feel jittery and a fluttering in my stomach. Does anyone have any advice?
I've been on Zoloft for almost 7 years. You really need to keep taking it. There's always side effects from meds unfortunately. But Zoloft does work! Just give it time. I was put on clonazepeam along with Zoloft just till the Zoloft hit my system the first couple of weeks.
Did you get dry mouth like a lump in your heart sometimes or heart racing because I have the heart racing kinda freaked me out but it was only my first day of taking the medicine so I called a psychiatrist since my doctor for whatever reason doesn't know the symptoms to Zoloft the psychiatrist rep. said if I want I can take half of the pill and work up on more I guess in time  
When I 1st started taking Zoloft i was taking it in the am with my coffee.  it made me gittery and sweaty - took me about 3 weeks to realize that I shouldn't take it with coffee :-) since then I've been feeling way better- i wait an hr or so before my coffee and only need the xanax .25 to .5 once or twice a week - wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?
    I have been on sertraline (Zoloft) for about 3 1/2 weeks now. I noticed I was just a little depressed before I even thought about starting any kind of medication because I've had anxiety issues in the past and that was about 5 years ago and I was on nortriptyline which cured my anxiety problems. I really wasn't depressed at the time I just had really bad panic attacks all the time.
    In the months leading up to my decision to start Zoloft I noticed that I was a little depressed, but nothing major but I wasn't motivated at all. I went to the doctor and she prescribed me Celexa, and that only lasted 2 days because my anxiety spiked sky high the moment I started taking them. I called her back and she prescribed me Zoloft and she wanted me to start off small 25mg daily for the first 7 days, and then increase it 25mg every 7 days after that till I reach 100 mg daily. I'm currently at 75 mg but I start 100mg tonight. I've noticed that I'm more calm and not as jittery anymore when I first started it and I'm starting to have good days but my depression is really high right now.
    I take a Xanax here and there now just because when I'm depressed I get scared so it kind of calms me. For the second week I took Xanax regularly because my anxiety was all sorts of wacked out. Now it's too the point to where its like I'm having a really good day and I'm full of energy and happiness and then I get tired and all of a sudden I become really depressed and anti-social to the point that it hurts and I have a heavy feeling on myself. I was told it takes 3 to 4 weeks to start seeing results, which I believe, but to be honest I'm getting impatient now because I'm tired of having these really depressing feelings and thoughts go through my head all the time. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this and can tell me its worth the wait because it's just all part of it. I'm being as patient as I can but it really ***** as many of you know.
Side effects I experienced:
Insomnia (still can't sleep a full night since starting it, but I do manage to get about 4 hours of good sleep here and there), depression, nausea, headaches, nervousness, cold sweats, hot flashes, dizziness, anit-social
Thank you for your positive insight!  New to zoloft, trying to stick out the side effects of feeling dizzy and tired, nervousness...hope things taper off and get better.  
I have had anxiety and depression for 4 years. I was put on Paxil 4 years ago and I became a walking zombie. I was then put on Cymbalta and suffered for 6 months with awful side affects before finally coming off all meds (the Cymbalta and Paxil withdrawals were worse than the anxiety). After battling on and off anxiety for 2 more years without meds it finally led into Depression. Although I had been scared off all meds I decided to give Zoloft a try since I was ruin my family and work life without it. I am on day 6 and notice a marked improvement already. I keep reading that it takes 14 days to truly kick in and if this is the case, I can't wait because that means I will be back and better than before. So far so good!!!
I am on my 5ht night of taking zoloft. can zoloft cause your heart to feel like its pounding and cause palpitations? i went to the ER and my EKG came back fine. but im still freaking out.
From my experience, the anxiety of starting a new med can make you feel like your heart is pounding. It is the anxiety, and this has happened to me more times than I would like to admit. I rush to the ER, and they tell me I'm fine. The reason is, I'm fine, and if the EKG is normal, you are too. You just have to remind yourself that it is the anxiety trying to take over, but you are okay. Anxiety can't hurt you, it can just make you feel like it will. I'm on my third week of Zoloft, and I took it for about ten years before weaning myself off of it. Deja Vu. Now I have to get it back into my system. It is trying, but worth it. You will feel much better with every day that you stick with it.
New to this forum  started Zoloft 3 days ago, feeling extremely anxious.  Had been placed on Remeron starting with 7.5 mg last October, incrementally increased to 30 mg by Mid March, worked for about 2 to 3 weeks each time, then anxiety was back.  Finally upped to 45 mg, with a severe panic reaction 1 hour after I took it.  I finally refused to continue on it, I had felt for a while my body could not tolerate this medication. MD prescribed Zoloft 25 mg to start, increase to 50 mg after 7 days.  I realize SSRis take a while to work, but it is tough while one waits.  I happened into this forum while searching for other people's experience with this.  Can use all the reassurance I can get.  People not having experienced anxiety cannot comprehend how awful it feels.
Welcome!

It would be great if you could start your own new thread, rather than tacking your post on to someone else's.  You can do that by clicking on this link:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new_with_new_subject?forum_id=71

You can just copy/paste this post into the body of the new thread.  I'll keep my eye out for your thread, we'll be glad to try to help you and give you the support you need!
Hi. Can you tell me how long it took you to get to 150mg of zoloft?  I have been on Zoloft for over eight weeks now.  My doc has me going up so very slowly, 25 first four weeks 50 the next four weeks.  Just went up to 62.5 four days ago. Anxiety is diminishing very slowly, but still bad enough.  Take clonopin to help. Just want to start feeling better and I think a higher dose is needed, but how soon can I start going up again?
This thread is old and inactive, you would get more replies by starting your own thread...you can copy/paste this post right into the body of the new thread.  Click here to open a new thread:

Hi all!
I've been on zoloft 100mg for about a year. Then clever me decided to stop it.... I felt ok for about a week and then it was TERRIBLE! I had brain zaps/dizziness, anxiety, agitation excessive sweat exc.   So I started again immediately with 100mg, Ithe dizziness feels better but I still get brainzaps anxiety spiking at night    Is this Normal?  I'm so anxious about all of this!!! will NEVER STOP MY MEDS AGAIN! Any comments will b appreciated.
Hi there, sorry you're having a tough time.  It would be great if you could start a new thread, as this one is pretty old and will get passed over by many.

I'm assuming you stopped taking it abruptly, and did not taper?  If so, that's why you felt so horrible.  Zoloft needs to be slowly tapered off to minimize and/or prevent a discontinuation syndrome like the one you've experienced.  

It will take some time for your body to readjust, so you may experience those withdrawal symptoms for a little while longer.

Million dollar question, does your doctor know about any of this, or have you done all of this completely on your own?  You REALLY need to work with your doctor when it comes to changing or stopping medications.

Let us know how you're doing (in a new thread, just click on the orange "post a question" button on the top right of the main forum page).  Hang in there!
I was wondering if anyone could answer this question.  I was on Lexipro for 1 1/2 years and then it did not work.  First I was on 10 mgs then I got a relapse.  He upped it to 40 mgs and it did nothing.

The Doctor switched me to Zoloft, which worked for me a few years ago.  He tapered me from 10 mgs lexapro and 50 mgs of zoloft for one week.  Then no more lexapro to 100 mgs of zoloft.  It has been five days and I still do not feel myself.  Does anyone know how long it will take to work?  Thank you

Started sertraline two and a half weeks ago, some what is helping my anxiety and concentration but I have sweaty palms, feeling of more anxiousness or energy, a feeling of needing to be on the go all the time unable to sit and just watch TV, would this be normal until the drug is fully at therapeutic levels in my body?
Hello everyone, I'm new to this.  I'm feeling very scared right now.  I'm on my 6th day of taking Zoloft & I'm still panicky & my muscles are twitching.  I could really use some advise.  Will these feelings go away?  Has anyone else felt like this starting Zoloft?
hi Kickanxietysbutt, I noticed you stated that you feel warm all the time..i am having that side affect with Zoloft but I sweat a lot! its very uncomfortable! does this also happen to you?
I am wondering the same thing, I am going through the same thing. My first dose was 50mg and I was okay now I'm on 100mg and I feel super anxious.