Anxiety Community
stomach hurts when nervous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

stomach hurts when nervous

Hi, I'm 19 this year. Whenever I feel nervous, I will get pain in my lower abdomen. It can be so severe that I felt like throwing out sometimes or there is gas build up in my stomach that I had to take a gastric pill. This problem only started when I was in 15, when I started losing wieight. But since I was 18, I manage to gain back my weight again. Still, whenever I have exams or have important functions to attend or in charge of something, I would get the pain. Can this be cured?
Not sure, have you seen a doctor about this? I know my stomach hurts and cramps sometimes when i get really stressed. You might need something to control gas, because if your body is produces more gas than it can get rid of, then I cannot imagine how you feel.  Tell me a little more detail, about the weight you lost.. How did you lose it?

kalie
My weight lost was big problem because I didn't really know what started it. I started cheerleading the year before and due to frequent practice, I lost appetite and didn't eat as much as I used to. Subconsciously, it went on without me realising until my mom asked how come I am losing weight. Later on, I started having stomach pains when I eat. So I try not to eat so much. As time when on, I didn't want to eat when I am out because I didn't want to get stomach ache. That's when the food phobia started out when I'm out. Then all of a sudden, I started having anxiety problems and then I had stomach ache each time I'm nervous.
it sounds like you might have a ulcer..... Have you been really stressed about anything in the past?
I did a scope in the past and they didn't find anything wrong. Should I see a psychiatrist about this or a gastroentrologist?
i would try a gastroentrologist first, to make sure there is nothing wrong, and about the psychiatrist i never have liked them because they ask all about your life and they just give you meds, they never really try to find out the problem. i went to therapist because they will teach you different things to help cope with your problems and u can talk to them about anything. your so young, i hope you can get through this without meds, because most of them are addicting.

kalie
Oh, thanks for the advice. It didn't occur to me about the addiction part. I'll search around. :)
Hi, I'm a nutritionist and I have a different opinion than the person above me.  If your stomach gets upset when you get nervous, and then you can't eat because your nervous and your stomach is upset, that is called anxiety.  The same chemicals that are in your brain are also in you gastro-intestinal tract.  That is why you get "butterfly's in your stomach" when your nervous in your head.  I think you would benefit from anti anxiety medication.  You can go to your regular doctor and tell him this and ask him if he thinks it's a good idea OR you can go see a psychiatrist.  I would go to a psychiatrist if your sure that the stomach problem is caused by nervousness.  Here's what a Psychiatrists (I can't spell it, sorry) will do.  The very first appointment will be an hour.  She (or he) will ask you questions.  Like why are you here, etc.  Then, she will determine if you need meds or not.  If she prescribes them she'll only see you for 15 minute appointments after that.  They are called "medication reviews."  She will not give you therapy.  At first, while she's trying to find the right meds and the right dosages, you'll see her more often.  Once your on the meds and your feeling o.k. you might just see her every 3 months.  Good luck!
Ok. Thanks a lot. I'll see to it.
in my opinion psychiatrists suck, you would benefit more from your regular doctor, i am serious, i have seen it happen so many times with them, all they do is put you on all kinds of meds and you become a zombie!!!! if you need a anti depressant your doctor can give u that. I just don;t want you to waste a lot of money for no reason.

kalie
TinaR10 Hey guys.12 days until I ca... Comment
20 mins ago
Amandag78 commented on Some GOOD NEWS!! Fin...
Amandag78 commented on nonights's status