Anxiety Community
sugar and anxiety

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

sugar and anxiety

Hi.  I was diagnosed bipolar 2 with comorbid anxiety.  I am on meds that seem to be controlling it. However, I am noticing a pattern.  If I eat sugar at night ( choclate, in particular), I wake up with an anxiety attack.  Is there anyone out there who is or has experienced the same thing?
Tags: Anxiety
Sugar is a stimulant. Chocolate contains caffeine--another stimulant. Both can increase anxiety.
i suffer anxiety and have found that certain things bring on attacks+sugar is defo one of them things.if i have sugary foods,alcohol or little sleep,the next day i am a wreck with my anxiety.if i have some sort of social event coming up,i'l avoid these triggers for a few days and must say my anxiety is at its lowest state for doing so.just wondered how did you get diagnosed,my doctor hasn't give me any diagnosis just says i suffer anxiety.i have figured out it is social anxiety myself and suffered depression for many years+last few months developed a head tremor but would like to find out exact diagnosis,so that i can find help easier and see if the tremor is related to the anxiety.
Hi.  I was diagnosed after suffering for a year and a half.  I have dealt with depression, on and off, since I was 9.  I am now 54.  Before my diagnosis, he thought it was a mood disorder with anxiety.  After numerous med switches and them pooping out.  He started me on Lamictal, Seraquel, Lexapro and Deplin ( medical food containing methollfolate which helps the body process folic acid).  Recently we had to ramp up the lamictal and lexapro and I seem to be doing better.  A few months ago is when he changed the diagnosis.  I was not happy as I felt a stigma about being classified as Bipolar 2..  I am also in therapy who is doing cognitive behavior therapy with me.  I recommend that you talk to your pdoc about what the thinks your diagnosis is.  I also work but don;t like to leave the house or do anything once I am home.  Hope this helps.
Hi.  I thought I would update you on my progress,.  I am now on Effexor, 181.5 mg., and we discontinue the deplin as it didn't seem like it was doing anything,.  I still have my good days and bad days but not as bad as before
I have a question for anyone dealing with anxiety.  Back to the sugar question.  I have searched the site and find people who suffer anxiety WHEN they eat sugar.Does anyone wake up with anxiety after eating sugary things the night before?  Thanks.
Barb135, and Jade59 commented on dominosarah's status
Jade59 commented on Jade59's status
Day 113
18 hrs ago by sicraw
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms