Anxiety Community
valium

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

valium

why is valium not popularly prescribed for anxiety nowadays? isn't it safe? can one take valium 2 only as needed? i mean whenever there is an anxiety attack only. hope someone answers these questions. cheers!
In a moment of anti-drug hysteria Valium was re-classified as a schedule one drug, allegedly as harmful as morphine.  The perfect solution to which no known problem existed. Thirty-five years ago, you could sign for valium from the hospital pharmacy without a physician's prescription.  It was used routinely and without problems. In recent years the drug enforcement administration has unfortunately cracked down on physicians and discouraged writing prescriptions.

The answer to your question is valium is no longer popularly prescribed because of political hysteria and irrrational drug laws.

Valium is an exceedinly safe drug. Taken by itself you can get into little trouble. Used ocasionally, especially for anxiety, there should be no contraindications whatsoever.

The downside is that it tends to slow reflexes and makes driving hazardous and becomes somewhat addictive.

thank you for enlightening me regarding valium. i only take valium 2 as needed. i have days without it. here in the philippines, valium is still sold but very few doctors prescribe it (most likely for the reasons you gave).

it does slow reflexes but poses no problem to me as i am homebound most of the time and stopped driving long time ago. very helpful message. thank you again!
Actually the main reason as to why Diazepam isn't first choice anymore is because the brain absorbs diazepam so well that addiction is very easily formed and withdrawal can be very unpleasant and difficult to treat.

Over the years the medical profession have come to understand that even a very short course, as short as two weeks needs a careful weaning process.  Patients who were kept on this drug for years at a time found that upon trying to stop they would suffer severe seizures, uncontrolable anxiety, sweating, vomiting etc and even death occured.

As a rule now GP's tend to use SSRI's and other similar drugs to help control anxiety and if they do prescribe diazepam it is for the shortest time possible or to help introduce the body to another drug or withdraw from a drug.  My GP will only prescribe a maximum of 4 2mg diazepam at any one given time.  
Ohh in answer to ur question it is far safer to take diazepam 2mg only when having a panic attack but u will find that the doc will still probably want u to take something else as you may not become phsycially addicited but you may become psychologically dependant upon them.  So my advice would be to get yourself into therapy CBT.  Ask for a therapist who can visit u at home until you develop the skills to be seen ata clinic.  Also ask ur GP about other anxiety reducing drugs such as beta-blockers, small doses of anti-psychotic drugs and anti-depressants.

Other alternatives are herbal supplements such as valerian, hops, passionflower etc which u can find online very easily in many different forms oir at ur local health food store.

However never mix prescription with herbal, either do one or the other.
Its interesting because I was just gonna post on valium. I just was prescribed it on an as needed basis for my anxiety attacks.  I do see a therapist and a Doctor and they said this was a good anxiety med. It doesnt make you as tired as xanax and isnt quite as addicting. Also it lasts a little longer than xanax. I havent tried it yet but hopefully it will work well. I have never been on any other anxiety meds and dont suffer from anxiety every day so I dont want to nor need to be on medecine that you take everyday. I also use other methods such as yoga....deep breathing....visualization to treat most of my anxiety but needed somegthing for when that doesnt work and for insomnia since my panic attacks often happen most at night in bed.
thank you very much for your inputs. tomorrow, i see a psychiatrist as advised by internist. probably have my serotonin checked too. i am on the 3rd year of my menopause. doc will check if there is a connection.
TinaR10 commented on OctoberMommy2014's status
32 mins ago
TinaR10 17weeks today OMG. We are a... Comment
33 mins ago
nursegirl6572 Looking forward to the leav... Comment
36 mins ago