Anxiety Community
wean off xanax

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

wean off xanax

I was on 4 mg of xanax for about 7 years but recently forgot to take one dose and had a seizure and went through withdrawal.  I was put back on 4 mg so that I wouldn't go through withdrawal but I feel very tired and sleep a good part of the day.  Is being very tired attributed to the xanax?  I would like to reduce the dosage and get off it completely but I'm not sure how to do it.  I have been on 4 mg for about 7 days and would like to lower the dosage.  Is it too soon to reduce the dosage?  How can I do it safely without getting another seizure?  
I am sorry that you are going through withdrawals like this.  Benzos can have side effects when you come off them, especially when you have been on them for this long in my opinion. First of all, don't wean yourself off it on your own.  You will need to do this under the professional supervision of a medical professional.  It can take a long time to come off of this, but it can be done.  What has your doctor said?
Since I went through withdrawal, I was put back on 4 mg (1every 6 hrs) for 2 wks.  I was told to cut down go 3 1/2 mg.  Taking 1-1-1-1/2 for another 2 weeks then down to 3mg.  I am under a doctor's care but with the 4 mg I fall off to sleep so easily in the afternoon.  I know xanax makes you sleepy and I'm hoping as I cut down I won't be so tired.  Starting last night, I cut down to 31/2 and so far had no side effects.  Thank you for your comments.
TinaR10 commented on KeeLolo's status
1 hr ago
CRSeaside commented on photo
1 hr ago
IndigoIris commented on Tramadol & Ultram...