Anxiety Community
what is the best med for anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

what is the best med for anxiety

what is a good med for anxiety
Hello! There is no "best" med for anxiety.  there are many variables that come into play when you and a doctor decide what kind of medication to choose. Everyone is different, every situation is different.

Can you give us a little background on what you're going through?  Do you have a history of anxiety or is this new to you? Have you tried ANY treatments thus far? Have you been to your doctor to have a physical to rule out any medical problem for your symptoms (that's always the best first step).

If you could provide us with some more details, we'll do our best to help you!
its kinda weird its a outerbody feeling i get shortness of breath tingling feelings in hands and feet lighthead heart beating fast antsy ive been to several docs had test done nothing was found they said panic attacks take zantac or klopin prn
iv been experencin my dose of panic/anxiety as well for the beginning of my last couple months..and let me tell u i understand ur dilemma and they suck...

theyve gaven me a prescription of xanax that im spose 2 take about 3 times a day and really dont take it 3 times a day i really take it 1once vry night b4 bedtime..once u get on prescription drugs lots say its HARD 2 GET OFF THEM and that ur body will need it alot often..like a drug that takes over ur body..hate 2 say it but it does..ive only been takin xanax about 3 months now..but tryin my hardest 2 try 2 find out wut i can take besides medications 2 calm my anxiety/panic down a little...

if u dont mind me askin why and how did it start happenin? ur anxiety/panic? because panic and anxiety really start by at very first doin a dosage of a certain drug for a long periods of time TO doin it for ur very first time can encounter anxiety probly ur whole rest of ur life :(
Nita734, Only you and your Dr can decide which med is best for you. Some people do very well on one med where others do not.
It sounds like your Dr prescribed Klonopin for you. This med takes awhile to build up in your body and most people do well taking it 3 times a day. It keeps you at a more steady state than Xanax does and can be easier to quit if you decide to do that.  
If your only having panic attacks once in a while you might want to consider a med like Xanax because it acts very fast to calm you down. It's usually prescribed on an as needed basis. Meaning if you have a panic attack you can take one.
I hope this helps a little. Take care. Remar
well i have been prescribed lavoxyl for stress anxiety. but i thing the best thing is to get out the stressors from our lives which am determined to do. find out what are the causes of your anxiety
"because panic and anxiety really start by at very first doin a dosage of a certain drug for a long periods of time TO doin it for ur very first time can encounter anxiety probly ur whole rest of ur life :( "

Just wanted to comment on this. This absolutely is not true. MANY people experience anxiety and panic and are diagnosed with anxiety disorders without ever having partaken in any kind of drug use,or even been on any prescribed medication.  The causes of anxiety disorders aren't fully understood, and for a lot of people a "root cause" is never found.

Nita, keep working with your doctor to find the best fit for you medication wise.  Many times it takes a good bit of trial and error before finding the right regimen, and everyone is different, what may be one's miracle drug may do nothing for the next person. Anxiety treatment takes time, patience and a good bit of hard work.

Hang in there.
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine....I do not even put caffeine in my body and I have severe anxiety and panic.  I have never taken anything that was not prescribed by my doctor. In fact, being so anxious, I'm scared to take anything new, even antibiotics for fear of having a reaction. I do not take a daily med for my anxiety and panic, but I do take a beta-blocker for a rapid/irregular heart rate.  This seems to help me with my anxiety as it slows me down a bit.  My heart symptoms (not drugs) are direct causes of my anxiety and panic.  Many people, who have never taken prescription or non-prescription drugs, experience severe anxiety and panic. Only you and your doctor can decide what is best for you. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Ragnaloth is ... Comment
OaklyDokly commented on tardive dyskinesia
remar commented on lboogie7729's status