why do I jolt awake at 3am?
I have found though in the last year or so that as soon as my head hits the pillow every night - i start getting unexplained anxiety symptoms of worry, and feeling like my head is going to drive me crazy but i soon drift off to sleep.... however for a while I been given just 5mg tables of diazepam to take each night to ease the anxiety. most nights all is OK - but for some reason, and there is no pattern to it, but I awake jolted out of sleep with an overwhelming fear and my mind pulling in all directions at about 2 or 3am... It's so horrible however it only lasts about 3-5 seconds and i'll go to sleep again. does anyone know why this could be happening?
Although you dread the idea of using another med, your doctor is there to help you.  He knows your symptoms and your medical history.  Try to work with him on this.  Perhaps after starting the other med you will be able to come off the valium.  Then you won't be adding yet another med.  You will be replacing one with (perhaps) a better alternative.  If it doesn't work out, nothing is set in stone.  Let your doctor know that you don't want to risk something that may not work. With his help, work out what the back-up plan will be.  Good luck!