Anxiety Community
why so many nightmares?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

why so many nightmares?

25 MALE.

Ive been on lexapro 5mg for a little over a month. My anxiety has left but it gave me sexual side effects... and it seemed to have caused me to have vivid dreams at night and get really hot at night in bed... and sweat at night in my sleep.

So my Dr. OK'd me to go to 2.5mg Lexapro.

I'm on my third night tonight of 2.5mg, no anxiety... but last night I had the worst sleep! I wasn't anxious falling asleep... but I had THE WORST NIGHTMARES last night... and after I woke up from the nightmare at 4:30am... I was sweating a lot... I went back to bed... and fell back into the SAME NIGHTMARE! Woke up at 6:30am again! It was so frustrating!
I felt like I was doomed on going back to sleep!

These dreams are so scary too! I don't know why I would dream about these things!
I had a dream my mom was crying... and yelling at me... telling me I didnt love her...
My wife and my baby left me in my dream.... and I had a dream about this scary demon entering my house and was chasing me!  Sounds cheesy... but it was so real and vivid... I was WORE OUT... and afraid to go back to sleep! My wife told me I was talking in my sleep too last night. I never talk in my sleep. lol.

Are nightmares caused by lexapro at all? Or tapering down?
Should I actually be increasing the lexapro to stop the nightmares? Or is 2.5mg good?
Or is the nightmares and vivid dreams just normal?
What causes these vivid dreams and nightmares?
Anything I can do to calm my dreaming process down? I'm so pooped. lol.

I know when you are dreaming you are getting good sleep b/c you are in REM sleep obviously.
But it can't be good sleep when I feel restless in the morning. lol.

Thanks.
You go through an ordinary day. Come night time you mind has to sort out all the things you may have taken in during that day. Sorts them out into two parts. Long term memory and short term memory. Long term memory are things we are most likely to need to remember for the future. But the way it sorts them out is in the form of a story like thing. At least that is how we see them. Only a small part of the dream is really the important stuff. The other stuff is latent dream content. The BS part of the dream.

Also with our dreams we dig into the subconscious level of our minds. Fears might come out. Future events that are nearing. Things we are looking forward to. How many times have people said ' let me sleep on it and I'll give you the answer tomorrow '. Your nightmares about your wife and kid could be a deep down underlying fear. What with your problems you might have it ' how much can she take '. Or ' how does she put up with all of this '. The scarey demon could have been your condition itself. Not so sure about your mum. The relationship you have together today. Not sure if your condition keeps you away from visiting her at all. Just playing on guess work.

Dreams that seem so real tend to happen more just before we wake up and just as we are going to sleep. Google lucid dreams. They can seem so real and life like. I love those types of dreams. When you wake it takes a few minutes to cop onto the fact that it was just a dream. The reason they are so real is because you are still aware of the wakening state as well as the sleep state. Half in, half out. Great place to be for some.
Jade59 commented on photo
41 mins ago
imanny2015 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
specialmom commented on skepticalpeach's status