Anxiety Community
withdrawal from paxil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

withdrawal from paxil

i tapered off going from 30 mg for 20 years to 15 for a couple years to every other day at 15 for a couple months, then i went to see my 'addiction' doctor who said there was no need for me to continue the slow gradual slide, but that i should "just quit.  stop."  so, even though i was experiencing an increase in emotionality and sweating, especially when i "feel" something strongly.  i did it.  now it's been a full week off and i am having intense dreams, mostly full of anxiety, fear, anger.  i notice i begin to feel up and down a bit.  also the most annoying part is the 'surges' of heat when i feel i am upset or irritated by something.  it's like menopause hot flashes but i've been past that for years.  oh well...i'm going with the answer being - all things good are hard and i'm sticking with this.  i do notice i am 'feeling' again.  something like a veil being taken off...or a layer of skin peeled.  i feel more awake and more aware.  but i wasn't aware of losing it. onward and upward.
You may have come off of this med too fast and that's why you're having the dreams and sweating. It's really hard to tell how long you will have these symptoms. Hopefully not for long.
No matter how slow you taper off, when you completely stop the drug you will have some side-effects, though they will be less extreme because you DID taper off.   Sometimes it takes a month for the effects to wear off with the worse withdrawal effects happening in the middle week or two.  Good luck and I hope you feel better.
Who told you you could just quit this med?  Paxil is the most difficult med out there to stop taking, and everyone has their own speed.  At 15 it's too soon to stop - with this med it's usually go to ten, then get the liquid and taper off very slowly if you need to.  Now having said that, what you're experiencing is way on the easy end of Paxil withdrawal, so hopefully this will pass soon.  Some find fish oil helps with this.  But if it lasts much longer I'd go back on the last dose at which you felt fine and taper off more slowly -- and tell the idiot who told you to just quit I said to quit practicing and learn what he or she is dealing with.
Amandag78 commented on In hell right now
3 mins ago
lulu747 commented on In hell right now
35 mins ago
KylieRMs_momma My baby girl is officially ... Comment
36 mins ago