708?1280496571
Arachnoiditis Sufferers User Group
Arachnoiditis flareup
About This Group:

Arachnoiditis is a rare chronic neuropathic disease that has no cure. If you are looking for others who have this disease, you have found the right place. Take a moment to tell your story. Together we can help each other in our journey with Arachnoiditis.

Founded by mummy3too on July 30, 2010
26 members

Arachnoiditis flareup

Hallo - I have had arachnoiditis since early 1991 because of the failure to diagnose and treat spinal fractures and a brain injury. I eventually got my diagnosis from the UK Social Security dept. After a horrendous first few years, I learned how best to keep this condition under control (exercise, rest when necessary) and never see a doctor because of what they did to stop me getting treatment and financial compensation.
Lately I am not well, I clearly have a flareup in symptoms but it is very bad, is affecting most of my body, and I am in a lot of pain.  Still trying to exercise but I'm not at all well. Having found your forum, I wonder if any fellow sufferers know if arachnoiditis can become adhesive after so many years? My symptoms are pretty bad - breathing difficulties, hard to use bowel function, extreme exhaustion, dreadful pain in my spine and in my legs and arms (more, I don't want to dwell on it) - in fact I haven't been this bad for years. I also have a lot of long-term stress in my life, could this have caused such a major flareup of symptoms?
Thank you
Roz
1 Comment
I was diagnosed in 1991, but I got arachnoiditis because I was given two myelograms in 1971-71 despite having a known allergy to iodine, so I sympathise with your feelings about doctors! Two things revolutionised my life: chiropractic treatment and green-lipped mussel food supplement. The chiropractic has made a huge difference because it actually makes me feel better. It took quite a few months of weekly treatment, but now I just go when I have a flare-up or if I hurt myself somehow. I've got Crohn's disease as well so I can't take much in the way of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, but my tummy is quite happy with green-lipped mussel and it makes a huge difference to how stiff I am. You may not notice a difference after you've been taking it for a few weeks, but I bet if you then stop, you'll feel the difference within a few days! Another thing which really helps with pain control is amitriptyline. I can only take 50mg a night because more than that makes my arms jerk lots, but it's very good for the burning pain in legs and feet. And baclofen is brilliant for the muscle spasms, I sleep much better now. I always find if I can sleep at night, the day is never so bad. Lastly, I use a lot of distraction. Music is brilliant, books and good, writing, computer games. I'm lucky enough to be quite well so I'm actually working just now - yep, somebody gave me a job, even after 3 years ill and another year applying for jobs! It's also really important to have a supportive GP. I find nowadays I'm not having to explain what arachnoiditis is, and quite a few doctors even get why arachnoiditis and Crohn's is a crap combination! Keep smiling sister, it WILL get better.
ormortman joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 02
HeLIXerLips joined this group
Welcome them!
Jun 16
Carlar0306 joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 29