Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Community
What are the stages of an AVM?

WELCOME TO THE ARTERIOVENOUS MALFORMATION (AVM) COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Arteriovenous Malformations, which are defects of the circulatory system that are generally believed to arise during embryonic or fetal development or soon after birth. They are comprised of snarled tangles of arteries and veins.

What are the stages of an AVM?

I was diagnosed with an AVM above the inside of my left ankle several years ago.  It only occasionally causes pain, so I opted not to have any surgery done on it.

I read somewhere that there are different stages of an AVM.  Does anyone know what these stages are?  I'd like to know what to expect in case mine start to become a problem.

Thanks so much!
Hi!
AVM have developmental stages, and not stages after they develop. This means that the AVMs are formed in stage during development of a baby—with  a shunt forming between an artery and a vein, and being connected with feeder vessels. After it is formed, its size may vary depending on its site and the amount of blood flowing through it. If the AVM is not always painful, maybe you can ask your doctor if compression stockings will help you.
Take care!