Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Community
infantile hemangioma or AVM

WELCOME TO THE ARTERIOVENOUS MALFORMATION (AVM) COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Arteriovenous Malformations, which are defects of the circulatory system that are generally believed to arise during embryonic or fetal development or soon after birth. They are comprised of snarled tangles of arteries and veins.

infantile hemangioma or AVM

I am writing on behalf of my son who is now a teenager who has dyslexia and was also born with an imperforate anus.
The reason for writing is that he had what appeared to be a strawberry mark on his upper lip which appeared as a few dots inside just inside his lip when he was a few weeks old and ended up being about the size of a plum. It was red/ purple, soft but firm.
We were told it was a strawberry mark and that it would go of its own accord.
however, it became a little less red but certainly did not go away at all.
In the end we got a vascular specialist to have a look at it, and he said that the blood flow was high and mentioned something about an AV malformation.
In the end we had it embolised when he was nearly three very successfully.
I have a few questions about it:-
1. Can something be an infantile hemangioma and still act like an AV malformation - perhaps because of the high blood flow due to its situation on the lip?
2. If it was an AV malformation should we have had his brain looked at for other AV malformations as well (this is my main worry). He has severe visual processing difficulties and I wonder if there is a brain lesion?
3. Would his treatment have been any different now than it was 15 years ago?
I would be very grateful for any help you can offer
Many thanks
B
Hi!
I can understand your concerns. If the lesion was an AVM, then it could be an isolated finding. However, multiple AVMs can also occur but are not so common. In a child with dyslexia, the visual processing disorder is usually due to a disruption in the pathway of the visual stimulus either to or from the cerebral cortex of the brain. This is usually not due to an AVM.
Usually infantile hemangiomas appear to be absent at birth, are noticed a few months after birth and then grow for a few months. After this they naturally regress. The AVMs on other hand appear like hemangiomas, but do not regress with time. During the proliferative or growth phase of infantile hemagiomas, they can appear as high blood flow lesions and can be mistaken for AVMs.
In your son’s case, since he is a teenager, in all probability a persisting lesion was an AVM, as it is less likely to be an hemangioma that is still proliferating.
The treatment options for both hemangioma and AVM have evolved a lot in 15 years. However, both these vascular problems can be left as such and watched if they are not causing any problems. Please discuss your apprehensions with your son’s doctor as he is in the best position to answer your questions in detal. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.