Arthritis / Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Could it be arthritis

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Could it be arthritis

A 95 year old friend, who has arthritis, unsurprisingly, i suppose, but he has sore and painful toes most of the time, but despite taking paracetamol it is troublesome at night, waking with pain and bad stabbing pain in the toes. Stronger pain killers have been tried but make him dizzy next day.General health is good, still driving etc., but quality of life impaired by this problem. Some of the symptoms seem like gout but I don't think so and presumably local doctor has ruled this out.
If you feel not arthritis problem, which forum may I try in your expert opinion
Many thanks.
Dear Friend,
In general, gout presents as pain,swelling and inflamation (inflammation) over the great toe.
Sometimes the serum uric acid levels are normal, still the person gets and attack of Gout.

I think an Orthopaedician's advice should be sought instead of a GP's for this condition.
Also the possibility of minor / superficial infection needs to be ruled out, in case of gout not as the first diagnosis.
Arthritis will always be present in this age group, but it should not be an acute presentation, considering this age.

Feel free to discuss, if you got any problems/unsatisfied query.
Regards...
Thanks for your reply, so promptly. I am trying to help this elderly person. Suffering from gout myself, I do not feel this is the answer, although I take your point however the problem is across the toes and something is causing the awkward constant and "stabbing" type pain. Does arthritis in the foot present itself in this way, is an xray recommendable and which pain killers do you like, please? I realise that before taking up your recommendations there would have to consultation with the g.p. to check on compatibility with any other drugs taken.
Dear Friend,
What you feel and what the other feels are totally different.

SO on that basis we really can't predict. Blood tests and clinical co-relation matters.
Hence i commented and specified on "Orthopaedician" advice.

Lets hope for the best.
Regards