Arthritis / Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Neck and headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Neck and headaches

I have been suffering from severe head pain which pounds when bending or turning over in bed, and have been told it is from the arthritis in the neck. i have been having physio and acupuncture over the years but does not help now . I was recently prescribed pregablin and have had to double the dose , but i dont think that helps. i am 55yrs old . Is there anything else i can do to ease this.
Dear H55,
If it's failure of physio/accupuncture and more than one  year now, then you need to do Cervical spine MRI. If there is disc also involved with arthritis, then this will warrant the need for surgery also, depending upon the MRI report.
So best now is to consult a real good neurosurgeon or an orthopaedician who specializes in Spine surgery and then plan further.
Meanwhile till you get the appointment of the doctor, continue with the Pregabalin medicine and start painkillers like "Ultracet" two to three times a day, depending upon the pain relief.Also a cervical collar, which will restrict your unwanted neck movements, will give additional pain relief.
Feel free to discuss more.
Regards
Thank you for your reply , I have had a MRI which just showed the arthritis at the top of the spine, and a ct scan of the head which was normal .. So im Continuing till i get on the max of my medication and see if i get any comfort from that, till i see my neurologist again. Im wondering why im getting these headaches now when i have had the condtion for years?
Dear Friends,
Sometimes the body reacts late to the findings.
Regards
Thought i would update you on my condition . I thought my headaches where separate from the chest  infections i have been getting for the same amount of time 2yrs .As i have been seeing a chest specialist as well as neurologist they wondered if there was any connection.i have just had a camera inserted into the nose and down to the lungs , the results show the lungs ok  a bit of inflammation and the right nostril was so narrow due to being swollen and inflamed im being referred to the ENT for further investigation .I also had a bronchial wash .It is a week since this was done and the headaches are 80% better im hoping this lasts and is not a coincidence. I was surprised at the outcome as i have had no trouble with my nose , it hasn't been blocked or sore.I have also reduced the pregablin , but if the headaches start again  i will have to up it again.Fingers crossed .