Arthritis / Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Painful, red, swollen welts on soles
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Painful, red, swollen welts on soles

My 16 year old son was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at age 10. He also suffers from enthesitis as well as a vitamin D deficiency and digestive issues. The arthritis has progressed rather rapidly so he is on quite a bit of medication and supplements.  Currently, he is taking 500 mg of Remicade every 5 weeks, 20 mg of Laflunomide, a multivitamin, borage oil, vitamin B6, Lutein, and L-Lysine. He is also using Fentynal patches for the pain. Since nothing has been working to help him out of this latest flare I began giving him something called Green Magma which is made of barley grass and is supposed to help heal the body.  He has been taking this for about 2 1/2 weeks.  This week he has been in a tremendous amount of pain to the point that he could barely walk. His ankles and feet have been really swollen. Two days ago he showed me his feet and I noticed he had several large red swollen welts on the soles of both feet which are painful to the touch. My first thought was that it was some sore of allergic reaction so I have give him two does of Benydryl. This has not helped much with the pain and the welts are still there.  I also applied a topical gel call Synovium which is made specifically for foot pain. He does get some temporary relief with that. I also put gel soles in his shoes and as long as he wears those when he walks, he says the pain in tolerable. Since this flare was brought about by him contacting a virus 7 days ago and he is running a fever, I have been giving him 1000 mg of Tylenol which also seems to help with the foot pain.  My question is: If this is not a skin reaction to an allergy, could it be a symptom of the virus, another symptom of his autoimmune disease, or a sign that he's on too much medication?