Arthritis / Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Sudden joint pain on both sides

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Sudden joint pain on both sides

Hi, and thanks for the opportunity to ask for your insights. I am a 50-year-old woman. About three weeks ago, I experienced rather sudden pain in joints on both sides of my body. The pain has been getting worse every day, and I am extremely, extremely tired, which is unlike me. I have osteoarthritis in my left knee, but suddenly I hurt all over - both hands, both hips, both knees, both feet, both elbows, both shoulders. I can't sleep because of the pain, and I can barely walk down the stairs each morning. I stand (in pain) most of the day (I'm a teacher) but when I sit for even brief periods, I get very stiff. My late mom had Rheumatoid Arthritis. The funny thing is, I do not have much swelling. When I went to a gynecologist for a routine checkup about four months ago, before these symptoms started, she ran routine blood tests and found I had a high-sensitivity CRP test result of 9.9. She told me to take Fish Oil pills. The pain is really interfering with my functioning both at home and on the job, and I'm too tired to be there for my family. Thanks.
Dear Friend,
Many thanks for giving me the oppurtunity to answer your question.To quality for RA we should have the following criterias-
1)Early morning joint stiffness.
2)multiple joint pain.
3)Migratory arthritis or joint pain.
4) Joint swelling.
5) Fever.
Out of these any 2 criterias must be there along with lab evidence of inflamation (inflammation). Your symptoms shows the presence of flaring pattern of RA. I think you should consult a rheumatologist or an orthopaedician to take further treatment. I am surprised as why your gynacologist didn't referred you to the concerned doctor. Serun CCP is a very sensitive test for RA and it should be performed to be dead sure about this disease. So please meet the concerned doctor as his medicines  will help your lifestyle quality.
Feel free to discuss more in case of any doubts.
Regards
Thank you so much for such an in-depth, helpful, and compassionate answer. You are very kind. I put a call in to my internist today; I hope to hear back from him soon. Regarding my high-sensitivity C-reactive protein result of 9.9 - could being overweight (I am overweight) cause such a high reading? Should I ask for both an ANA test and a Serum CCP? Thanks again!
Dear Friend,
CRP is not high in and weight related issues.
CRP is a marker of Inflammation.

I would prefer you to go for a CCP , and if money is not a problem, then ANA test can also be done.

Regards..