Arthritis / Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Treating Arthritis after Angioplastsy

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Treating Arthritis after Angioplastsy

53 years old.  Had two angioplastsy procedures over the last three weeks.  Result - 6 drug-eluting stents, 4 in the LAD, 1 in the RCA and one in the Ramus and some angioplastcy in some of the smaller vessels.  Very fortunate that there appears to never have been a heart attack.  

Here's the issue:  I have osteoarthritis in the knees and neck and some nerve pain that has plagued me since a bout with Bells Palsy in the right front portion of the neck.  These pains were controlled with Motrin -- prescribed at 800 mg three times a day.  Now I am on Plasurgrel (new blood thinner) and diltiazem for BP and the doc says "No Motrin, No Nexium, No anything" for the other pain.  Ok, I don't want to die but how do I handle the pain?  I do not want narcotics.  
Dear Friend,
Well, if you want a pain relief that we will have go go with Tramadol. For dosage purpose, i would want you to consult your orthopaedician as i have not examined you physically and since you are already on many medications, i will not be able to take a chance.
So please understand that there is a way out for the pain relief, but it needs to be properly monitored. The problem with the routine pain killers that they might cause gastric mucosal irritation, which may result in bleeding. And since you already are on blood thinning agents, the problem might worsen.
Am happy that you have recovered from the Cardiac surgeries.

Feel free to discuss more in any context.
Regards..
Thank you Dr. Ghosh.  Nobody has suggested Tramadol but I am familiar with this medication as my wife took it for a short while for lower back pain.  I am afraid of any narcotic-like effects if Tramadol has them.  As an attorney, I think and communicate for a living.  Of course, the pain itself is terribly distracting so I suppose there is a choice.  Thank you for your time and your well wishes.  I appreciate it.  I will raise the issue with my doctor.
Dear Jam,
That's very nice to hear that you are ready to discuss this with your treating doctor.
All the best and may you have a pain free life.

Please feel free to discuss more with me as a fresh post.
Also , if you are satisfied with my answer, do refer your friends also.
I have got other forums also (Arthritis , Back and Neck Surgery, Back and Spine Surgery, Brain Tumor Forum, Headaches  , Hip Surgery, Knee Surgery , Neurology/Neurosurgery, Rheumatoid Arthritis. Trigeminal Neuralgia), where you can post other related queries.

Regards