Arthritis / Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
dish

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

dish

My husband was diagnosed with dish about 10 years ago.  Stiffness started in his neck and has gotten worse over the years. From xrays taken a couple years ago, shows he has fusing in ribs cage.  What i'm wanting to know is if you could recommend a doctor in the atlanta area that specializing in dish.  His doctor that diagnosed him 10 years ago told him there was nothing that could be done for him and my husband was going to have to learn to live with this condition. I'm not comfortable with that diagnosis.  His condition is getting more painful. Last time he went
to the doctor all he did for him was give him elavel to him him sleep at night because of the discomfort. My husband needs more help from someone who knows more about this condition. Please help!
Dear Friend,
DISH = Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperosteosis.

As the name suggests -
Diffuse = Can be widely spread.
Idiopathic = Unknown /Unexplainable cause.
Skeletal = Involving the bones and joints.
Hperosteosis = Increased bone formation.

Hence as per the name, there is no known cause for the same, so control of the disease becomes very difficult.
As per our medical records, no treatment is prescribed for this condition, hence your treating doctors are unable to provide any type of treatment.
Treatment is aimed at the control of the symptoms only (Palliative).

For his pains, i would suggest you to have a visit to Pain and Palliative center.
Since i am not for US, i am not aware of names of good hospitals/clinics/doctors in your state, hence won't be able to guide you for the same.
Please feel free to discuss with me, for any help required.
Regards..