Arthritis / Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
juvenile onset arthritis but no swelling
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

juvenile onset arthritis but no swelling

I am 20 years old and my rheumatologist recently diagnosed me with undifferentiated seronegative arthritis. I have had joint pain for a long time (through childhood) and recently it has suddenly gotten a lot worse very quickly. My blood tests came back with negative rheumatoid factor. I had a bone scan and multiple joints lit up strongly. I also have joint damage to several joints that showed up on an x ray. But what is confusing me is that she said that she couldn't find any swelling, and my physiotherapist said i have hypermobility in my joints. If i have seronegative arthritis shouldn't I have swelling and bad joint mobility? Does this mean my diagnosis is wrong? if so what else could it be?
Related Discussions
1083596_tn?1313398276
Dear Nico,
You surely have a Juvenile RA.Maybe due to this reason you are having seronagative results.Since you already said that your X-Rays shows up badly destroyed joints, this may be a cause of Hyper-Joint mobility.Joint swelling in not always present in these cases.Only when the Arthritis is flared up, we get joint swelling.
So continue as per the doctor's advice and trust his diagnosis.
Keep us informed and posted.
Regards
4 Comments
Blank
Thank you so much for answering. Just a further question how come joint swelling is not always present? If I don't swell does this mean the arthritis isn't bad? Or does the severity depend more on pain and damage?
Blank
1083596_tn?1313398276
Dear Nico,
This sort of arthritis has a spike pattern.It flares up occasionally.Why-As the stimulus for the flare up of arthritis is not dependent.
The larger the time interval between 2 swelling pattern, the better the situation is dear.
Regards.
Blank
Okay, thank you
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949