Arthritis / Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
positive ANA

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

positive ANA

Few of my joints hurt occasionally.
My blood test returned: positive ANA, speckled pattern (all other arthritis tests are normal).

Two years ago, I had negative ANA, so I assume I'm not in that 2.5% of healthy population with positive ANA?

My main question is: could this test result be at all related to me taking echinacea pills once in a while (with flu season around, I like to take it every few days)?

Thank you!
Dear Lisa,
I know you are aware of the ANA full form (ANA-Anti Nuclear Antibodies).
ANA positive (High Titre)  means that chances of Auto-immune disease are high in these population.But this doesn't means that you a not healthy.You are as healthy as the others.What you need to do, is visit a Rheumatologist or an experienced GP soon, so as to go for more diagnostic test to rule of the auto-immune diseases.
Reason is that, the chances of Auto-immune diseases like lupus,RA,SLE present, so we need to start active treatment of the same.
Feel free to ask us more.
Regards..