Arthritis Community
21 yo w/ hand swelling, but no diagnosis

I am a 21 year old female, over the last 2 months I have been having inflammation in both hands. My hands become warm to the touch, along with swelling, pain, and tingling throughout my hands. I also have hypothyroidism, and I also feel extremely tired over the last 2 months. I went to my family doctor and she ordered a CBC, Sed Rate, RF, and ANA. All of the tests came back within normal limits. My doctor does not seemed to be worried about my symptoms, but I am. I work in the medical field and I have been trying to figure out why my hands are swelling and why I constantly feel wore out, beat down, and tired. I'm just hoping for some answers to why I'm feeling the way that I am. So if anyone has any insight that would be greatly appreciated.

Hi bdillman. Welcome to the forum.

Inflammatory factors and metabolic dysfunction would easlily explain
your condition, without  presenting anything significant in regards to
standard lab testing.

Try an anti-arthritic diet and supplementing with glucosamine, msm and chondroitin for 3 months. Go by the recommended dosages and according to your weight. Also bromelain and boswella serata extract are great natural
anti-flammatory agents. (bromelain is a PH regulator also, but should not be taken if on blood thinners)
All the above will work much better than most prescribed meds, but their action -unlike meds-is very gradual, so don't expect major results right away.Typically it takes up to 2- 3 months.

You may have elevated tartaric acid levels and there's a simple urine test to verify this. Apple cider vinegar,2T daily before any 2 meals (1T each time)as it is the best source of malic acid, will take care of the tartaric acid, but you need to avoid carbs. Tartaric acid is a cellular toxin that contributes greatly to fatigue and inteferes greatly with the Krep's cycle.
Make sure you are well hydrarted by consuming adequate spring or filtered water, 1H away from meals and make sure you  get 7-8 hours of good quality sleep every night. Medical field personell are known to have sleep issues and or sleep deprivation.
If you can't, then consider meditation CDs for this. It will make a huge difference. I have done a study in sleep related issues for my Hypnotherapy certification and meditation is on of the top methods to address such problems.
Keep us posted and please let me know if you need any additional information.
Best wishes.
Niko
I am wondering if you have an allergy to something you're coming in contact with at work. I'm sure that in the medical field, you are probably washing your hands, using hand sanitizing gels, using latex gloves. If your office uses latex gloves, ask to be switched to silicone. From what I understand, a latex allergy is not at all unusual.

Allergies can manifest in different ways, but they CAN escalate. What causes a minor reaction now could send you to the hospital later. Take a close look at the things you come in contact with at work, and see if one of them is the culprit. Good luck!
Oh I forgot to mention that you should consider making an appointment with your endo to check your thyroid hormone levels again and either adjust your thyroid supplement, or change it. Sometimes the synthetic -if you are on synthetic-  may be less efficient than the dessicated natural one.
Most doctors will argue this, but the body does respond better to the natural.
Cheers!
Niko
Niko, thank you for this information. As of right now my PCP is taking care of my thyroid issues. I have been on synthroid for about 2-3 years now but recently my tsh level changed. So I have to wait one more week before I can get my tsh level checked again.
Carol, also thank you for your information. My hands usually become inflamed at night, long after I get home from work. It has happened a few times at work, but usually every night  after I get home.
Have you tried compression gloves? They might help with some of the swelling and keep your hands warm, which can help with stiffness. I use IMAK gloves, which have the fingertips cut out so I can still type. I hope you find some answers soon!