Arthritis Expert Forum
22 y/o w/ joint pain and 3 miscarriages - ANA 1:1280

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

I'm a relatively healthy 22 y/o female(5'4" 139lbs) who began experiencing hip pain when I was 15ish y/o.
Pain has increasedf over the years, some days worse than others. Walking on uneven surfaces or up/down hill is worse.
I became very concerned about my hips 2 years ago when I got married, and found that (this is SO embarassing...) the pressure/weight of intercourse created VERY-SEVERE-PAIN during, and after, the act.
1 yr. ago I began having pain in my right foot, on the inner side of the "ball". It's constant and never stops hurting.
I had an MRI approx. 6 months ago(on foot only), which the MRI tech (or whoever the man at the machine was?) told me, through broken english, was "normal"
I had custom inserts made 5 months ago, and they haven't helped.

My ANA level, according to my records,  was elevated when I was 17-18 years of age. (1:320 &1:640)
when I was tested approx. 6 mo. ago it was at 1:1280

My doctor has told me that I'm young, and that he's not overly worried. However, I can't help but feel that such joint pain at my age could only get worse with time, and that intervention now would be beneficial.

Also, I tried for a year to get pregnant with no success, had 1 confirmed miscarriage @ 10 weeks.  (and two other faint positive home tests, with subsequent periods before I could make it into the doctor to confirm, both of which I'm confident were failed pregnancies.)

I searched my symptoms and definately think there's something immune-related going on. I'm not ready to jump into thinking it's lupus... but at this point, I just have no idea.

I know that immune problems can effect a person's ability to sustain a pregnancy... Could they be related, and should I be worried either way? What should I tell my dissinterested doctor?

Also... I have had an unexplained weight loss of 19 pounds in 3 months... ? Unrelated...?

VERY STRONG family history of cancer, and that's about it.

A year without success is long enough to start an infertility workup

multiple confirmed miscarriages is even more reason to look into reasons for infertility

auto-immune disorders can contribute to misscarriage

pain with intercourse is very complicated.  there are many different possible reasons.  you'll need to find a more empathetic and patient physician to tease apart the reasons for that problem.  both physical and psychological issues can contribute
The pain during intercourse is located in my hip joints, which is why I say I'm so worried about my joints. Actual intercourse itself isn't painful, and I don't think there's anything psychological to it.

Thank you for your response.
...overall, with joint pain (primarily hip and foot), combined with miscarriages and ANA @ 1:1280,  what should I ask of my primary care physician, who seems to be dragging his feet on the matter?

ask for a referral to an ob/gyn with an interest in auto-immune causes of infertility.

possible labs could be RA, SS-A, SS-B, and others
Thank you :-)
you're welcome!
A related discussion, Miscarriage and arthritis related? was started.