Arthritis Community
49 with arthritis

49 with arthritis

I have arthritis in my knee and in my left foot - but think it is also now in my hip.

I was taking percocet for pain but have tried to get off them as I feel I was getting addicted.

Right now I am looking for advice - the bottom of my left foot hurts and aches... is there anything you can put in your shoes or on your foot to lessen the pain?  It's not swollen, and I don't really want a store bought insert because then it makes it too high for my foot.

Any advice would be more than helpful!

Thank you
Have you been evaluated for plantar fascitis? There are braces you can purchase that you wear in bed at night to keep your foot/ankle in a neutral position. In the morning, try doing calf stretches - this is what my husband does. There are a couple ways to do this:

Stand about a couple feet from the wall, place your hands on the wall and do a backward "lunge" with the bad foot. Try to place your foot flat on the floor, which will stretch the achilles tendon. Don't push super hard, stop when it hurts and try again, gently trying to stretch a little farther each time.

Another way is to stand on a step with only the balls of your feet, and slowly lower your heels below the step. Again, be careful, you don't want to tear anything.

Pain that starts in one joint and appears to spread to others is a classic case of "the heel bone connected the knee bone" etc. A painful heel alters the way you walk, stand, even sit. This throws off your natural alignment so eventually your knee starts hurting, then your hip, up your back, and so on. Physical therapy could help with this. Good luck!
Yoga will not "get rid of" arthritis. It *will* gently tone and strengthen the muscles and tendons that support the joints, which can decrease pain. While any kind of exercise is beneficial It will *not* cure either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis.
Thank you... but I can't afford physio .. may look into yoga
Thank you again :)