Arthritis Community
Aching stiff joints

Aching stiff joints

I am a 45 year old female with a history of bursitis in my hips and probably my shoulders.  I have recently completed physical therapy for my crocked knee caps and I also have minor knee problems with hyper extension  of my knees. I have a history of arthritis on both sides of my family. One grandmother died of complications of Lupus and the other grandmother had severe rhumatoid arthritis.   I have recently (in the past 3 weeks) started working out where I went to physical therapy so we are very cautious with my knees. But after getting home and resting at night for a little while, my joints get very very stiff and sore. It takes a while to work it out.  I am the same way in the mornings when I get up, but seem to be pretty good during the day even though I work at a desk for most of the day.  The joints involved are hips, knees, ankles and sometimes my shoulders hurt when I lay on them at night.  What does this sound like.  It seems that when I am lazy and don't exercise for a few weeks, I dont seem as stiff.
It is possible that this is all related to your new exercise program.  Typically with any of the autoimmune forms of arthritis, you feel better with exercise and worse with rest.  Are you working with a personal trainer?  That may be something you want to consider so that you do not over do it.  If you do not get better or the problems seem to get worse, you should consult a doc.