Arthritis Expert Forum
Ana Chromosome

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Ana Chromosome
What does it mean that I have positive ana screen and I'm also supposed to have rhematoid arthritis, the rheumatoid factor came negative?
The ANA level is a marker for various rheumatological diseases - such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.  By itself, the result isn't useful - it has to be correlated with your symptoms, physical exam, and other blood tests.  Note, there is a small proportion of the population that will have a positive ANA screen.

If you have other symptoms consistent with arthritis or lupus, further testing can be considered.  At this time, I would consider a referral to a rheumatologist for further interpretation of this test.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_