Arthritis Community
Ankylosing Spondylitist and bigh blood pressure

My son started having "spells" Jan. 2012 where he would start throwing up, very pale and blotchy, dark circle under his eyes. We would take him to the doctor and they would tell us to take him home and in a full days he would get better. He would but then a few months later it would happen again, he would literally look like he was dying. Finally he was hospitalize at vanderbilt childrens hospital for it cause his BP was extremely to high(181/96). He was finally diagnosed with Hypertension but without a reason.His doctor told me that a reason for high blood pressure could be that he was in pain from something that we couldn't see. They did ever test on him and everything came back normal, he is currently take Amlodipine twice a day, and his bp runs around 120/75 everyday. So it got me thinking...I have the gene HLA-B27 which can be a sign of Ankylosing Spondylitis and was told that more then likely my son would suffer from this as well.

So my question is: Is there a link between Ankylosing Spondylitis and High Blood Pressure? Should I have my son tested for AS? Could AS be the "Pain" that my son is having that we can't see?
Hi bjnorvell.
Welcome to the forum.
Your son has a 50/50 chance of inheriting the gene from you.
Unfortunately the chances of a child getting AS are  5 times greater
if the HLA-B27 is passed from the mother, compared to the gene passed from the father.
The gene alone does not cause by itself AS. There are many other factors,
most of them supposedly unknown, however, environmental factors, klesbiella bacterium and TNFa involvement could be involved in AS.

In the following study Abstract-I could not access the full study- moxafloxacin ( it destroys the Klesbiella bacterium) administered over 12 weeks for AS, showed significant improvement, making the klesbiella
connection a lot stronger.
( I'm requesting latitude from the Moderator to allow this post in its entirety,
as all this information may be vital for the improvement of this young patient. Communication between his treating physicians and the Nazilli State Hospital in Turkey, may prove extremely helpful, in treating successfully his suspected AS, if  that's what it is indeed.)  

Treatment of ankylosing spondylitis with moxifloxacin.
Ogrendik M.
Source
Division of Rheumatology, Nazilli State Hospital, Turkey. ***@**** (if this does email address does not appear, please pm me for it, if deemed necessary, or search under the PubMed ID number)

Abstract
Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-B27-associated chronic inflammatory disease of unknown etiology. There are few effective treatments for ankylosing spondylitis, which causes substantial morbidity. The relationship between AS and enterobacteria, especially Klebsiella pneumoniae, has been reported from several groups in several countries. We performed an open-label trial of moxifloxacin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Treatment with moxifloxacin resulted in significant and sustained improvement. At 12 weeks, patients treated with moxifloxacin had significantly greater improvement in primary outcome measures (P < 0.001). The moxifloxacin group also had significantly greater improvement in many of the secondary outcome measures (P < 0.001). In this twelve-week trial, moxifloxacin was safe, well tolerated, and associated with improvement in the inflammatory symptoms of AS.
PMID: 17458395 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Cardiovascular involvement in AS has been established, since the 50s.
Here's a link to a study published in  Angiology-The Journal of Vascular Diseases:
http://www.macieira-coelho.org/CD02/Cardiac%20Alterations.pdf

I'm of the opinion that it would be warranted to have your son tested for AS.
Note: Diagnosing AS is challenging for Doctors and patients alike,as there are no specific tests for this condition, questionable reliability in some suggested tests & numerous variable factors surrounding AS.

From my own personal observations regarding AS:
1. Treatment with Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha (TNFa) Inhibitors (biologics) is extremely costly!
I have put together a natural nutritional protocol as a possible feasible alternative TNFa Inhibitor (for educational purposes) that I can forward to you, in the event your son gets diagnosed with AS.
2. You may want to consider a low starch or low carb diet for your son.
(klebsiella, which lives in the gut, feeds on undigested starch)

62-66 Clinical rheumatology. 1996, 15. Suppl. 1

The Use of a Low Starch Diet in the Treatment of Patients Suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis

A. EBRINGER*, C. WILSON'**

* Immunology Section, Division of Life Sciences. King's College. London.

* * Department of Rheumatology, UCL School of Medicine, Middlesex Hospital. London, England.

Summary The majority of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) patients not only possess HLA-B27, but during active phases of the disease have elevated levels of total serum IgA, suggesting that a microbe from the bowel flora is acting across the gut mucosa.
Biochemical studies have revealed that Klebsiella bacteria, not only possess 2 molecules carrying sequences resembling HLA-B27 but increased quantities of such microbes are found in fecal samples obtained from AS patients and such patients have Crohn's like lesions in the ileo-caecal regions of the gut. Furthermore AS patients from 10 different countries have been found to have elevated levels of specific antibodies against Klebsiella bacteria. It has been suggested that these Klebsiella microbes, found in the bowel flora, might be the trigger factors in this disease and therefore reduction in the size of the bowel flora could be of benefit in the treatment of AS patients.
Microbes from the bowel flora depend on dietary starch for their growth and therefore a reduction in starch intake might be beneficial in AS patients. A "low starch diet" involving a reduced intake of "bread, potatoes, cakes and pasta" has been devised and tested in healthy control subjects and AS patients. The "low starch diet" leads to a reduction of total serum IgA in both healthy controls as well as patients, and furthermore to a decrease in inflammation and symptoms in the AS patients.
The role of a "low starch diet" in the management of AS requires further evaluation.

This is a long post. Please consider printing it, so you can refer to it
as the need arises, if you find that it may be useful.
Handing a copy of it to your doctor-even if most doctors frown upon such
"gestures", specially when originating from the internet- may offer some valuable insight and potentially save your son some unnecessary long-term suffering.

Wishing your son well.
Niko