Arthritis Expert Forum
Any relationship between Agent Orange and Rheumatoid Arthritis

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

I was exposed to Agent Orange mists (sprayed) and a week later to fumes (brush sprayed earlier was burning).

I was just diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis.  No one in my family has ever has this or anything related. All are healthy including five siblings and my 80 y/o parents.

I am 57 y/o and sprayed in my early 20's while in Vietnam (1968-69).

My first daughter died (1972)of spina bifida and that was followed by eight years and 12-13 mis-carriages and spontanious abortions (late term mis-carriages). During that time I also experienced low liver function and was treated for that with vitamin B complex.

I have had good health except for chronic upper back,lower back and hip pains for the last 10 years.
I am not aware of a specific association between Agent Orange and rheumatoid arthritis.  However, on my research, I found some small studies that may suggest a connection - but there is no consensus agreement on this.  

Rheumatoid arthritis strikes at a peak onset between ages 30 and 55 - so being diagnosed at age 57 is not an uncommon presentation.  

I would discuss this possible association with your rheumatologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, dioxin and rheumatoid arthritis was started.