Arthritis Community
Arthritis and Calcium Depostits

Arthritis and Calcium Depostits

Hi I have a question about arthritis and calcium deposits
My mum, when young, was very much a sports freak. She has many certificates for swimming and loves netball and played in a few competitions. She also did gymnastics (dancing with the ribbon) and does a lot of walking!
When my mum was I think in her 30's she couldn't eat and became very sick, weighing about 45kg. The doctors gave her steroids without her knowing and she gained a lot of weight and she can't lose what she gained by them. Shes had nine children so of course she gained weight and now she is a bit over weight and has arthritis in her spine, knees, hip and fingers.
She can't bend one leg and has a lot of pain in her body. She has also been told she has calcium deposits in her knees and the joint is wearing out. I am terribly worried for my mum and I asked her to check if she could get a knee replacement and the doctor said she can't!
I don't know whether the doctor meant they can't because no one specializes in it or she simply can't
If an old woman can have hip replacements why can't my mum? Is it possible for her to get any replacements?

Shes currently taking 1 Voltaren 50, 2 pandol extra, creams to stop swelling and I forgot the name of the other pill but it helps with pain relief as well. She has also taken on swimming to lose weight since she cannot walk very much.The doctors keep telling her to lose weight and it will help. My mother is 50 years old and she doesn't eat unhealthy foods.

I just want to know if a replacement is at all possible. Because even if she loses weight the pain will remain and last thing I want is my mother have ulcers in her stomach from too much Voltaren (even though she takes it twice a week if she has to)

Thanks a bunch
Hi there!

Well, it would be very difficult to comment on the situation without knowing the relevant clinical details. I am not sure what could be the contraindication of a knee replacement in her case. Weak bones may not be able to handle the implant and could lead to complications. Otherwise the contraindications would be the same as that for any major surgery. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with her treating doctor.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Hi there!

Hope this helps.

Take care!