Arthritis in my Ribs?
I am only 19 years old, female, and will get bad chest pain sometimes.  I told my doctor and he was very quick to say I had arthritis in my ribs.  Another doctor told me he thought that was bull.  It did seem odd to me that I had arthritis at a young age.  But does this sound completely possible for me to have.  It was just weird because the doctor who diagnosed it was quick to say it and was just like whatever.  And now I have another doctor telling me its not true, so what the hell.  Any Opinions...?
From what I understand you can have it in your chest - they call it Costochondritis.  This is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (from the Mayo Clinic website).  I have had bouts of this for years.  It can get kind of scarry too.

Hope this helps!
Carbaholic
Start with NSAIDS then go to biologics they work. Remicad, Embrel, Humira
I have it too, it hurts and swells and *****! Get a second opinion and a referral to a good rheumatologist (spelling?) and don't let them pass you onto the steroid train, when bouts are bad it's fine but if you start young you can get terrible side effects like ligament loss (which I have in my feet) all this of course is contingent on you having health insurance, if you don't then my best advice is GET SOME and get it before you have ANY diagnosis or you will fight with ****** doctors, debt, and dueling diagnosises for the rest of your life (I know I was there, am there, really but NOW i have killer insurance so they all want to see me and help). Insurance, Specialist, NSAIDS, that's the order & stay away from steroids unless you are really bad.

I hope you feel better.
Sorry you are in pain.  Before a doctor makes a diagnosis of arthritis, he needs to run some tests.  X-rays, MRIs and lab work should be performed.  If neither of your doctors have done this, get to another one.  It is possible for a 19 yr old (or even younger) to get arthritis.  It is always best to get a diagnosis and treatment early.  Please let us know what you find out.
I'm 20 and I've had stabbing pains in my right rib area for about a year now. I've been to many doctors and specialists for it but they never found out what my pain was from. I gave up on trying to figure it out. Lately it has become worse so I went to my new doctor and talked to her. She listened to everything I said, felt my ribs, and asked questions. She told me that I have arthritis in the ribs. It's basically another term for Costochondritis. Yes, you don't have joints in your ribs but the symptoms fall under the conditions of arthritis. That's why they call it rib arthritis...