Arthritis Community
Arthritis in my knees, help

Arthritis in my knees, help

I went to an orthopedic dr and they took Xrays of my knees, I got bad arthritis according to him in my knees and I'm gonna get 3 Euflexxa shots next month. I'm very obese, I sit all day. I've been taking osteo-bi flex and my knees no longer grind and I have noticed significant mobility increase. I was wonder if there was anybody else like me, I'm on a serious diet and will pedaling help strengthen the muscles to keep the weight off the bones, and has anybody had any relief with the shots. I want to avoid knee surgery because I have no family and am kinda isolated because of bipolar. I can walk around small stores fine. I don't use a cane or walker but I have to use the crip cart at superstores. I was wondering if anybody thinks I can achieve improvement with the exercise,shots and weight lose, I just want to be able to walk around a bit more without pain. It seemed better when I was working and would get up and walk a bit, since I've been on disability I've turned to a jello blob with no muscle tone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tags: euflexxa, kn
Hi.  I can relate to weight gain as a result of immobility due to these painful conditions.  My knees were in pain but it was due to my back.  I can tell you that once my pain came under control compliments of shots, I have been helped by exercise and weight loss.  I would encourage you to try it as it may put off surgery if it does not allow you to escape it all together.  
There are several of us here trying to take off some pounds put on since getting ill.  One gal does weight watchers, I bought a Wii and Wii Fit (amazing but it really is working for me) and I am using slim fast.  I had success some time ago with Jenny Craig, but since getting ill I have not been up to going in to their office.  What are you considering trying?
I'm consider plain old fashioned starving, maybe weight watchers quick start and staying on it, thinking about buying a pedalo since I don't have room for a full bike. I read if you strengthen the knee muscles it would keep the weight off the joints. Like I've said I've had amazing results with the supplements. My knees only hurt when I walk on them for a length of time.  If I use a cart in the store not to bad on concrete floors thats why i thing the weight loss plan ,strengthen, and the shots might work. It feels more like muscle pain than bone when I walk, the knees is the only place I have it
l
Sounds like you have done your research and have a great plan, except for the starving ;)  A balanced diet that is low calorie, high fiber and low fat should do the trick combined with exercise.  Watch the sodium levels too as they can wreak havoc with a diet.  After I quit Jenny Craig I found several Lean Cuisine options that worked well for quick meals.  The panini sandwiches feel like a wonderful splurge and are legal.
Let us know how you are doing.  I am changing my eating habits and increasing my exercise as well and would love to share encouragement, success and tips with you.

Your friend,
Sandi