Arthritis Community
Arthritis in neck/head area???

Arthritis in neck/head area???

I have arthritis in my hand and my knee.  Recently I was diagnosed with chostochondritis.  I don't know how I got it, only that my chest hurt and it felt like I couldn't breathe.  I was told sometimes it is a chronic thing with some people.  Here recently, I turned my head to one side and it felt like a "ripping" feeling in the back of my head.  It hurts now in that one area off and on.  It's been hurting for about 2-3 weeks now.  The bottom of my neck is also tender.  I can put salve on it at night and in the morning, it feels slightly better.  Sometimes the pain is from my neck up into the back of my head.  Could chostochondritis or arthritis cause this?  If not, what other causes could it possibly be?  I'm concerned.  Please advise.  Thank you.
I have never heard of chostochondritis, but googled it to see what it is. I have arthritis pretty much all over. I also have ddd, spinal stenosis, and fibromyalgia. I can relate to your neck and head pain most. I have bad disc in my neck and low back. The pain in my neck is the worst. I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted on Feb. 10th, but it quit working (I guess I did something I shouldn't have and pulled a wire loose) so now I have to have more surgery to fix it. Anyhow, have you had an MRI of your neck? I would think that might be a good place to start. Your pain sounds a lot like mine and mine comes from bad disc. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
I haven't had an MRI done.  I don't have any insurance, and I don't know how much an MRI would cost.  I'm afraid to find out.  I do have a doctors appointment in 2 weeks (the earliest they could see me unfortunately), with a joint/bone specialist.  I'm afraid to go but my neck & head just continue to hurt.  I hope it's nothing very serious.  It looks like if it were, there would be other symptoms??  I don' t know.  It's very worrysome.  Does your lower neck pain radiate up into the head area?  Mine radiates up into the back of the head, and sometimes progresses in the forehead area.  Thanks...