Arthritis Expert Forum
Arthritis in teenagers

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Arthritis in teenagers

I am 16 years old and i have alot of pain in my joints..mostly in my knees, ankles, and lower back..i have had numerous xrays but there is never anything that shows up...i have played sports in the past but i never had problems then..i havent played any sports in over a year.. my joints are always very bad and there is a lot of unexplained pain..i am wondering could i have arthritis at the age of 16 or could there be something else wrong? pls help!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Welcome to the forum!

Did you have any streptococcus respiratory throat infection in the past? This is important to rule out Rheumatic fever. You can alternatively test for ASO titre in your blood to rule out Rheumatic fever.

X-rays will clearly indicate if you have Osteoarthritis

X-rays combined with symptoms and Rheumatoid factor will diagnose Rheumatoid arthritis.

Detailed history is very important to rule out any systemic disease.

We would suggest you to visit a neurologist to rule out any neurological disease like fibromyalgia.

You need to go to a Rheumatologist to assess your case finally and go ahead with the blood tests and scans for complete diagnosis and proper cure.

Take intermittent pain killers for the present pain. Eat healthy, have proper sleep and have balanced diet.

Take care!
also note that i get really bad cramps in my elbows and i seem to be tired all the time and my will to do things isnt very great
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear kaitkait,

Refer the above posting, and if you need something else you are always welcome.

Take care!
i had a respiratory infection this year but im not sure if thats what you were talking about..but ive had this problems for about 2 and a half years now..but thanks for the information
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello again,

We want you to go for ASO titre estimation for Rheumatic fever diagnosis.
Go to an expert for diagnosis clinically and also based on the reports of X-ray's and blood tests.
Keep us posted and come back if you have further queries.

Take care!
so what do i need to ask my doctor to check for?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

ASO titre estimation.

A special serologic test, known as anti-streptolysin O, that measures the quantity of antibody to a component of streptococcal bacteria. A useful diagnostic test for scarlet fever, rheumatic fever and other streptococcal diseases.
American spelling: ASO titer

If the ASO titer is normal then you have to consider other options.

Take care!
I'm a mom of a 12 yr old that is complaining of these same aches.  Her heels and ankles, knees and lower back.  I, personally, found out in my 20's that I suffer from ankylosing spondylitis ( a form of arthritis).  Her symtoms (symptoms) sound somewhat like mine, but more like yours.  Please keep me posted on how it's going for you.  Thanks...Jen
how long has your 12 year old has these problems? because my problems started when i was about 12 years old... and i haven't yet went to the doctor for it because i have been busy with my gyno with female problems but i will definitely let you know when i do go to the doctor..
A related discussion, Joints Aching was started.
A related discussion, So what was started.
Im 28 year old construction workin and i foynd out the pain in my back is caused by arthritis of the spine and ive been readin all about if and theres not much i can do to stop it is my problems jyst gonna keep gettin worse will it slow down and stop hurtin so much ever. Any good treatments out there i can get relieve from i jyst keep thinkin about my future and its maki.g me so depressed please any advice would be so helpful
A related discussion, reactive arthritist was started.