Arthritis Community
Articular Cartilage Damage

Articular Cartilage Damage

When I was 16 I had a major football injury and I injured my articular cartilage.  I received a microfracture and have been fine until about 2 months ago.  I live a very active life, skiing, mt. biking, running, etc.  I had a MRI last week and the results show that I have an 8mm X 7mm grade IV lesion on the later compartment of my knee.  My question: Do I need to go through with another microfracture?  Or can I adjust my life style.  I can still bike and walk relatively pain free.  If I limit my activities to just that, will the lesion continue to get worse?  
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Restricted your activities may help with your pain, but may not promote healing of the cartilage. Sometimes asymptomatic lesions may deteriorate to permanent knee damage. You will need further assessment with arthroscopy to see the extent of damage and to plan for therapy. Treatment options range from conservative, through arthroscopic or open surgical procedures.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.