Arthritis Community
Bursitis-leg weakness

Bursitis-leg weakness

Does Bursitis in the hip cause leg weakness and tingling sensations and weakness upon sitting and standing for awhile? I can't find any info regarding this online.

thanks!
Hello there!  I am sorry I didn't get to your post sooner.  I have had bursitis in my shoulder and it did make things around it feel pretty wonky.  Have you seen a Dr for this?  I would suggest getting in to seen the Dr and getting a cortisone shot put in the hip.  A lot of Dr's like to suggest PT first but I have better luck with having the shot first and then doing some PT.  You could also be pinching a nerve there.

Keep us posted,

Spastic
Thank you for that. I had some undiagnosed leg weakness issues that started a year ago with tingles. I was sent to every test and Mri under the sun with no clues. Now a 1.5 years later, I felt better and then I was hit on side of car by another driver and my xrays showed contusions on hip as well as inflamed bursa sacs in numerous areas where the lap belt held me in place during the impact. I am feeling that familiar weakness again in pelvic area and legs.

I will probably end up with another cortizone shot. I had one initially which helped, but made my arms and legs very cold and tingly.
I am so sorry you are in pain.  I have had hip bursitis and know the misery of it.  That said, not everyone presents the same way.  Here is what I found on hip bursitis:

There are two major bursae of the hip, which can both be associated with stiffness and pain around the hip joint. The trochanteric bursa is located on the side of the hip. It is separated significantly from the actual hip joint by tissue and bone. Trochanteric bursitis frequently causes tenderness of the outer hip, making it difficult for patients to lie on the involved side, frequently making sleep difficult. It also causes a dull, burning pain on the outer hip that is often made worse with excessive walking or stair climbing. The ischial bursa is located in the upper buttock area. It can cause dull pain in this area that is most noticeable climbing up hill. The pain sometimes occurs after prolonged sitting on hard surfaces, hence the names "weaver's bottom" and "tailor's bottom."

I would be concerned after an auto-accident that you might have more than bursitis going on.  If the treatment is not providing relief, please contact your doctor asap.
Thank you for your insight. I am currently having physical therapy for the accident, but I am planning to return to my rheumatologist to have bloodwork done and see what he thinks of this seeing I have a history of a elevated sed rate with no specific diagnosis prior to accident.After some research, I suspect I also have illipsoisas bursitis (near groin) area which also burns and feels like sharp needle pricks. What did you find helped you with the trochanteric bursa?

kind regards
countryrose
Glad you are getting back to the Dr.  My rheumy gave me a short of cortizone in the hip and that helped a lot.  I still have problems there from time to time, but rest and drugs help when it starts to flare.  I can tell you that if it ever fails to settle down again I will be calling my Dr asap.  That pain is such a misery.  Hang in there and keep us posted!
Thank you. I am having my pain med, psysiatrist administering this shot. He's a great doc who works in orthopedic office and is in pain management. I am scared of this shot being the first time, but I hate trying to tough out this one. I have had so much chronic pain the past few years I thought I could try to ignore the  bursitis when it struck,  but I can't. Anyway, I am hopeful this will help me immensly with the misery of hip bursitis.
I'll let you kow how it worked for me.
Glad to hear you are giving it a try and I hope you get the relief you need.  I understand about not liking shots.  They use to bother me a lot, but with all the bllod I give for tests and shots I take for relief, including the weekly one I give myself, I have gotten use to it.  Just found a pattern for crocheting a cozy for my sharps container so I may have to start that soon.  If it's gonna sit on the counter it might as well look pretty!
Do let us know how you do.  

Soft hugs and well wishes,
Sandi