Arthritis Community
Can a fall cause an increase in arthritic symtoms(symptoms)?

My mother has RA and osteoarthritis, she recently fell off some steps and landed on her right side. The outside of her thigh is painful and she difficulty getting up from a sitting and or kneeling position.  Xrays were taken and nothing is broken.  Can taking a fall cause the osteo to become more prevalent?  She was given a cortisone shot in her hip as that was hurting as well and told it was arthritis.  Can a fall cause arthritis to flare up?  Or is this related to her RA?
From personal experience I say, yes, injury can cause a flare of symptoms.  Sometimes it feels like a row of dominoes.  You hurt your knee and this makes you walk funny and then your other joints start to hurt in a cascading fashion.  Have they given her pain meds or upped her current dosage?  If this does not get better she should see her doctor.  While the xrays were clear, there could be something going on with her soft tissues that a xray would not detect.