Arthritis Community
Can having a sed rate test come back elevated twice now lean towards ha...

Can having a sed rate test come back elevated twice now lean towards having RA?

I have been alot of joint pain. It is in my hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders now expericing it also in feet. I have seen my doctor, he ordered a EMG and found no nerve damage. I have had two sed rate tests done and both came back elevated. He then was concerned with auto immune disease had some more blood test done. He told me there was no sign of any auto immune disease found. But again my sed rate came back elevated. My choloseral was elevated but he wanted to try diet and exercise before medication. He also felt if I got my choloseral down it would bring the inflamation (inflammation) down in my blood. He said to wait 3 months and if I am still having the same joint problems he would do more testing for RA.  I am concerned at this point, all information I have read states that its best to start treating RA in its early stage. Should I request at this time to see a specialist? My joint pain is moderate I would say. But there is times when it flares and it is worse. As far as morning stiffness I do, but I can not say that it is stops me or slows me down. I do get a low grade fever when I do have flare ups. Sometimes a upset stomach also. At this point I do not know what to do, I am concerned about is there a link between elevated cholesteral and RA? When I do have flare ups also I find all I want to do is sleep. Just not really sure what to do at this point.  
An elevated SED rate indicates inflammation in your system and is associated with lots of problems besides RA.  I am not aware of a link between RA and cholesterol.  Did your doc have x-rays made of your joints?  Have you had an MRI?  If you are in the very early stages, it may take a bone and joint scan to determine whether your joints have inflammation in them.  
Because of your wide spread pain and the elevated SED rate, I think additional investigation is merited.  If your doctor will not pursue it, see a another doctor or go straight to a rheumatologist.  
Important note:  Just because you do not test positive in lab work for an autoimmune condition does not mean you do not have it.  It is called seronegative.  You can test very high for things you do not have and negative for things you do.  The lab work provides a direction for the diagnosis process, not a diagnosis.  You are on the right track, keep pushing until you get a diagnosis!  We'll be here to help and support you.