Can the flu cause a flare up of RA?
I'm just recovering from the flu and the usual body aches are more like extreme pain in the joints. Is this because of RA?
I am so sorry to read you are in pain.  the flu is bad enough but RA makes it worse.  So, yes, the flu can make your RA flare.  It is a good idea to get a flu shot early in the season if you have RA and a necessity (as is the pneumonia vaccine) if you are on Methotrexate, Enbrel, Humira or Remicade.
I thought I had the flu about 5 years ago..  turned out to be PMR and my joints were very painful.. could hardly walk.. it was in my feet and ankles, knees, and wrists..    

anyway I took celery seed and Ibuprophen.. and it went into remission..  yeah!  celery seed..  worked as well as the sterioids that others have been on..   and though I have had a flair up  .. so has another person I know with it, who is still on the steriods..    

so you might want to at least look into the symptoms.. and see what you think.