Arthritis Expert Forum
Cause of Congenital Deformities

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Cause of Congenital Deformities

I was diagnosed this year with 2 congenital deformities at the base of my spine. One of the deformities is apparently very common: partial sacralization of the  last lumbar vertebra (on the right-hand side). Not a big deal except that it is compounded by the first sacral vertebra which is also deformed. The right-hand side of that vertebra formed like a lumbar vertebra and so is not fused to the rest of the sacrum. A CAT scan has shown that the right hand side is free while the left hand side
formed like a normal sacral vertebra. There is even a disc between the right-hand sides of the first and second sacral vertebrae. It's almost like the right-hand sides of those 2 vertebrae got their messages crossed during my development. This has resulted in instability at the base of my spine and the 2 deformed vertebrae have been wearing against each other for the past 43 years. There is arthritis in those joints now and the disc between them has calcified. I used to be very active: hiking, climbing, snowhoeing at work and for recreation, which I guess could have sped up the "wearing" process. I have been able to live relatively comfortably through neural blocks, limiting my activities to walking on level ground (boring!),  and a regular stretching routine. Spinal fusions have not been recommended until I am well into my 60's because the osteopath believes that, due to a slight curve in my spine, the fusion would cause stress to be placed on the vertebra above the fusion which would require fusion a fews years later, causing stress on the next vertebra above, etc., etc.

However, I am now beginning to experience stiffness and pain at the base of my neck and left shoulder. Are there congenital defects common to cervical vertebrae? Is it common for people to have multiple deformed vertebrae? And the most important question: could the fact that my mother "abused" prednisone for about a year until she found out she was pregnant with me, be the cause of these deformities? And if so, what other medical problems could  be headed my way? What I mean by abused is that she was on the maximum strength pill and was taking 2 and 3 times more pills than recommended by her doctor. And, yes she suffered health effects later. I only learn about this a few years ago and didn't think about it again until until my neck started giving me problems. Now I'm wondering what's in store.

Thanks for your time.
There is something called Klippel