Arthritis Community
ChikunGunya - what are the long term effects?

I had chikun guniya once and I was treated with mild prescription. It then relapsed after few months and I was put on steroids for an year. Now I am totally cured of the virus and also I dont have joint pains anymore.

What are the long term effects? am i prone to arthritis sooner? would I develop any joint or other problems or pains?

also I have a lot of acne marks on my body. could this have caused due to chikun guniya side effects?

Hi there!

Long term effects of chikungunya are not known, though there is no increased risk of developing arthritis later in life. Acne marks is not a symptom of the condition.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
My son is having yet another chikungunya flair. He is considered chronic. He has had to cut back only 8 hours of work per week. He has a PCP as well as ID doctor and Rheumatology. He is depressed and has starting taking medication. the only thing that bring relief in medication for the severe pain he experiences, Cigna Long term disability has denied his claim saying that his doctors have reported vague symptoms and there is not much known about the virus. Do you have suggestions on how I can get cigna to see that not all of the symptoms are seen by the eye, You can not see pain, I also want to know if the coldness of the weather could contribute to his pain. He contracted the Virus on a mission trip to Haiti but we live in Washington and every time we have cold weather he is worse.
I would appreciate any advice you could give us.