Arthritis Expert Forum
Collagenous Colitis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Collagenous Colitis

I have recently been diagnosed with collagenous colitis.  Symptoms have been severe, chronic diarrea (diarrhea), bowel incontinence at night, abdominal pain, etc.  I had a flexsig and a colonoscopy, both confirming diagnosis. (celiac disease is not present)  Other than this, I am healthy 45 year old female.

Please tell me what you know about the connection between collagenous colitis and any autoimmune diseases, arthritis, etc.

Thank You!

Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
There are some reports connecting collagenous colitis with systemic autoimmune diseases.  Specifically, non-erosive arthritis and celiac disease are connected.  Small studies place the frequency of concurrent autoimmune disease to be close to 40 percent.  Testing for arthritis can be considered, starting with an ANA and rheumatoid factor level.

Initial medical treatment involves cholestyramine and steroids.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0 Comments
Blank
I have been diagnosed with coll.colitis, I also have had a lot of trouble with both my knees. I recently had a camera in my knee and had debrie removed by keyhole surgery.
That was nearly 7 weeks ago and I am having a lot of difficulty and pain in walking.
Could you tell me if this is due to collagenous colitis and what should I do next? thankyou.
Blank
A related discussion, Help for collagenous colitis was started.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979