Arthritis Community
Couple of questions

Couple of questions

I am 38 yrs old and have been experiencing what I believe to be arthritis pain since I was about 9 yrs old. Its something I had learned to live with but recently it has gotten seriously bad. My first question is how do I get started do I go see a regular physician first? I have not had a regular physician in ages. The one I had when I was younger, pretty much asked me if I could live with the pain and I said yes, and that was that. I believe it had been in remission for a while, until the last 7  yrs. The reason I want to try so hard and get it diagnosed is because my son who is 9 is starting down the same path. I would like to know what type and what I am dealing with because his pediatrician is not taking him or I very seriously and if its something that can be helped, Ex. RA which I wonder about because I do get fevers with the pain. uggggggggg sharp stabbing pain, if I sit in an office chair to long I get up like an old lady, LOL, people laugh and I giggle a little but when it comes to my baby its not funny. I have a very high pain tolerance but worry about what he may have to go through, just like I did. My second question is what would I need to do in order for his pedi to pay more attention to me when I tell him about my sons complaints.
Hi there! My first reaction, when a doctor won't listen to me or my concerns, is to FIRE HIM and find another doctor who will. Your instinct is telling you something is wrong with your body, and maybe that of your son. Follow it!

Go to your family physician and ask for a referral to a rheumatologist and don't take no for an answer. You may be able to find one who will treat both you and your son together, but you may also have to take him to a pediatric rheumatologist who specializes in treating kids.

Rheumatoid arthritis and its *many* autoimmune "cousins" manifest in different ways in individual patients; there is no one size fits all in terms of symptoms, how aggressive the disease becomes, which joints are affected, and which treatments work.

Most of all, the long-term affects of even low-grade inflammation (that pain you can "live with" but not get treated) are becoming more and more well known. It can affect the eyes, internal organs, even lead to heart disease. So joint pain, in the long run, is almost the least of your potential problems,

Tell your and your son's doctors point blank that you need a referral to a rheumatologist NOW, and if you don't get it, you'll find one on your own and he can just eat your dust. ;)  YOU are your own best health advocate. No one, not even a doctor, can take care of you better than you can.

Hang in there!
You need to see a rheumatologist.  How you get to that point depends on your insurance coverage.  I was diagnosed officially with arthritis at age 30, but I'd had symptoms since childhood.  I, like you, sought help when the pain became really bad.  My daughter has the same symptoms and she is only 9.  As to your other question, if your pediatrician isn't paying attention to your child's health concerns, find a new doctor ASAP.  Best wishes.