Arthritis Community
Cramping in Fingers and Toes

Cramping in Fingers and Toes

I am 33 yrs old and was just diagnosed with RA about 2 months ago.  In the last 2 weeks, I have been having severe cramping in my toes and fingers.  The cramps in toes get so bad that I can't walk sometimes.  Also, I have had swelling in my feet and ankles for the last 4 yrs but since I started on the meds to treat my RA I have notice that the swelling is getting worse.  I am not sure if this is a side effect to the medication (I am on Voltaren) or if the inflammation is just getting worse.  My ankles hurt constantly and nothing that I do relieves the pain.  Anyone else ever have these problems?  
Tags: cramping
How long have you been on the meds?  When are you due to see the doctor again?  I have RA and have had cramping in my feet and toes that crippled me but once I got on the right combination of meds it all stopped for me.  That said, you should consult your doctor.  Also, Voltaren is a NSAID, you may need to try something stronger in addition to that medication to manage your symptoms.  It can take a long time to get the meds and dosages right.  Some meds have to be taken for 3 months before any results are seen.  From the time I was diagnosed until my meds were correct was between 18 and 24 months.
Thanks!  I have been on the meds for 1 month.  I have an appt with my doctor next week so we will see what he says.  I hope we will be able to fix it soon because I am not sure how much more of this I can take.  Thanks for the advise.
I would think you would have seen some results from the NSAIDs by now.  Usually the next step is to add plaquenil.  It is a malaria medication and is one of the milder meds used for RA.  It can take over 3 months to see results, though.  You might ask your doctor about some muscle relaxers or pain meds to get you through this period.  They are my constant companions and relieve many of my symptoms.
I think you should tray a natural remedy as well as the meds i hear that black strap molasses, apple cider vinger and things like that may help take a look at the earth clinic there are many natural remedy you can try also look these two doctors Dr Sebi and Dr Lilia Africa they are suppose to be really good and what they say makes alot of sense,The best way to get better is to take your health into your own hands treat the cause and not the symptoms