Arthritis Community
Decreasing prednisone

Decreasing prednisone

I am currently on 5 mg prednisone, doctor wants me to decrease by 1 mg at a time so 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 gradually. Could you advise me on how long i should be on 4 mg then subtracting 1 mg at a time? I just went down to 4 mg 3 days ago and my hands are hurting already but not swelling. He suggested I not go more than 2 days with this then go back up to 5 or whatever I was on. Please help me if you can.
It is best to take your doctor's advice.  It is normal that if symptoms increase with the reduction that you go back up for a while until the flare is under control.  
I absolutely agree about taking your doctor's advice.  Whenever I've had to do a slow taper such as you're talking about, my doctor had me stay on the lowered dose for a week before lowering it again.  So I would stay at 4 for a week, then go to 3 for a week, so on.....

If you're finding that you're having more symptoms after lowering the dosage, definitely contact your doctor - it's quite possible you will have to increase your dose again, at least for a while before trying to taper down again.

Best of luck - I know it's not fun being on prednisone (I've been on it a LOT and many times at extremely high doses) - and the tapering can be some of the worst of it.  Your body needs to readjust to start having your adrenals work on their own again and sometimes it takes a long time for them to start doing that, especially if you've either been on the prednisone for an extended period or even if you've only been on it a short time but at a high dose.
Definitely follow your doctor's advice, but don't be surprised if you find you need to taper off at a slower pace. Some people must taper off .5 or even .25 mg at a time. It might take a bit of trial and error to find the rate that works best for you.