Arthritis Community
Do I need to worry about this?

Do I need to worry about this?

Every now and again I get a sore knee, I don't do much sport, occasionally run ( the sore knee isent always after a run ) and I am 24. for example this morning I have woken up with a sore knee that has slightly swelled with no apparant reason for it. Could this be the begginings of arthritis, am I going to get it when I'm older? Also my 3 year old goes threw stages of waking with sore knees aswell, which worries me as he is so young, over xmas he was constantly waking with sore knees ( although not that sore that it prevented him playing ect ) and I put it down to growing pains, he has stopped complaining for a while now but it may start again soon. Any advice appreciated folks.
Hi there! It won't hurt to get your knee looked at by a specialist, if it's worrying you. Occasional pain doesn't mean you're doing to get osteoarthritis (the wear and tear kind), but if there's a small problem and it's left untreated, it could grow into a bigger problem over time. Exactly what part of your knee hurts? The structures are complex so location is an important clue for the doctor. You might have a little piece of torn cartilage; you might have a slight congenital deformity that causes you to walk or run a certain way that irritates it. You could have a strained ligament that never got a chance to heal properly. It's really hard to say without expert advice.

As for your little one, my guess is that it's growing pains. My kids had them, and because I have rheumatoid arthritis (the autoimmune kind of arthritis, not the wear-and-tear kind), my heart was in my throat all through their childhood. But they are fine, and chances are yours is too. A few hallmarks of RA to watch for in kids: running a fever along with one or many very swollen joints; joints are markedly red, hot, and very tender to the touch; pain and swelling that starts in one joint and seems to spread to others; significant fatigue; significant change in activity level (i.e., if he was running up and down stairs easily, but stops for no apparent reason). Very little ones often will not be able to articulate how much pain they are in, so you have to watch for these-nonverbal cues.

I know one family whose 18-month-old wasn't walking and couldn't verbalize why. One day she got into those orange-flavored baby aspirin and ate several before her mother caught her. About 20 minutes later, the child was on her feet and running all over the place.

There are rheumatologists that deal exclusively with children, so if it will put your mind at ease to consult one - and you have the means to do so - it won't hurt.

Hugs,
Carolan