Arthritis Community
Does anyone know about RA and Enbrel during pregnancy?

I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 19 years old.  I'm now 32 and pregnant.  I've been giving myself shots of Enbrel to control it since 2001.  When we started doing IVF treatments to get pregnant, I went off of the Enbrel.  For the first two trimesters, my RA seemed to go into remission and I didn't need any treatments - which was a MIRACLE!  Now I'm starting my third trimester (I'm 27 weeks) and I am starting to have ALL SORTS of complications with my joints.  Pain, swelling, can barely move.  The reason I'm posting this here is because my OB says it's okay to give myself a shot of Enbrel, but my Rheumatologist says it's not.  I don't know why there is a discrepency in their opinions and what I should do.  Anyone out there have RA and gone through a pregnancy?  What did you do?  Thanks so much, everyone!
So just an update about this.  Just when we finally got cleared for me to take the Enbrel while pregnant, we find out it's not going to be into the pharmacy until Friday AND it's going to cost $900!!!  BUT it turns out it will actually probably be safer for me TO take the Enbrel. I have to control my arthritis because if I don't control it, (according to the lady at the pregnancy risk hotline we talked to today) Rheumatoid ARthritis puts me at risk for still birth and preterm labor. She said the Enbrel can be taken up to one week before I deliver. Which is a miracle, really, because I have had such a horrible flare the last two days. And it's gotten bad REALLY fast. So I was all excited to be able to give myself an Enbrel shot - knowing how well it helps me. Then we realized that I am out of shots (because I haven't given myself any since we started trying to do IVF - just to be safe. It's actually AMAZING that I went into remission until now. BLESSING!) so we tried to order more tonight from the pharmacy and they can't get it in until FRIDAY! I am in so much pain. And THEN they added the part about the insurance deductible needing to be met and how it's going to cost $900. SIGH. I used to have better insurance and the copay for Enbrel was only $25. I guess I should be GRATEFUL that all those years of taking it (10+) it only cost me $25 per month when it retails for over $3000 a month. Just sad that I have to be "making up for it" now. Okay, I'm done ranting. And whining. It's just hard when I'm in so much pain. But once Friday comes and I get a shot in me, I'm sure I"ll be doing much better and feeling okay about all of this. Thanks for your compassion, everyone!