Elevated Rheumatoid Factor?
Hi...I am not a regular on this forum but thought that someone may be able to give me some answers.

I have been suffering from severe joint pain for the past 3 weeks, moderate/mild joint pain for about 8 months. In Sept my RF was 28 and 2 weeks ago, it was 31. Not much of an increase.

I have a history of autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's/hypothyroid) and elevated ANA. Family history of Lupus and RA.

Rheumy started me on Mobic and I had no relief from symptoms. Doubled the dose, no relief still just severe nausea. I have never had any swelling in my joints. Tramadol works for pain.

I have orders for x-rays of my hand and foot.

Is this RA? Neurologist (and I) are leaning towards Lyme Disease. I have probably had this for about 10 years. Could something else make the RF positive?

Thank you so much for any input you may have. This has been a rough couple of weeks and I would really, really love to start feeling better.

Thanks!
Hi, sorry you are going through this.  Yes, RA can be elevated when you have something else or, you could have RA, just not a lot of antibodies.  My RA factor is about the same level as yours.  The only way they could find inflammation in my joints was a bone and joint scan.  No damage showed up on xrays and nothing showed up on a regular MRI.  
You mention joint pain for 3 weeks but state you think you have Lyme and that it may go back 10 years.  While Lyme is a definite possibility, have you had joint pain off and on all this time?  Have you seen an infectious disease doctor or a rheumatologist?
Did they test your CCP? CCP is much more specific for RA and if both RA Factor and CCP are positive there is a 99% chance it is RA.

I'm in a very similar boat and am trying to decide whether or not to start meds. My joint pain is mild and has been going on for about 5 months. All other blood work except RA factor is normal.

Please keep us posted on your status.