Arthritis Community
Extreme pain, Dextroscoliosis. scolisis..arthritis..thecal sac indentin...

Extreme pain, Dextroscoliosis. scolisis..arthritis..thecal sac indenting

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I have been in many accidents.. None my fault, I was born with scoliosis and club foot. I have a lot of problems with pain, I recently had MRIs and below are the findings.. I saw a surgeon today, but he really didn't tell me anything.. So, I don't know what to think. He also told me it would not get worse.. I know that to be a lie.. It gets worse every year.. seems to be getting worse and worse and worse more rapidly these days. Here are the finding among others.. these are just the ones in bold: 1. Moderately significant dextroscoliosis in the lower thoracic region. 2. There is a 1.5mm left paracentral p[osterior disk protrusion at T9 - T10 level indenting the anterior aspect of the thecal sac. At T10-T11 level there is a 1.5mm left paracentral posterior disk protrusion indenting the anterior aspect of the thecal sac. ......  Marked S shaped dextrotoscoliosis is again seen with some coexisting hyperkyphosis. Minimal diffuse osteopenia is suggested also.  There is more but if someone could tell me something about just these for now, that would be really great and would be so much appreciated. I have a lot of pain and its getting harder and harder to walk and stand. I am not yet 60, so this is very disturbing to me, as I have always been active. and there is a lot more findings.. I just think these are the ones I don't understand.. The surgeon said I cannot have surgery because there is so much arthritis... something like that.. there are also buldging disks.. and other things.. thanks...
Sue
Hey Sue!

The MRI describes abnormal curvature of the spine at the lower thoracic level with mild-moderate intravertebral disc protrusion at T0/ T10 and T10/ T11 respectively; indenting the covering of the spinal cord. While the destroscoliosis is unlikely to progress, it could be the potential cause of the symptoms along with the inflammation associated with the disc protrusions. Since the disc changes are mild-moderate a conservative management with rest and anti-inflammatory medications, followed by physiotherapy to strengthen the back muscles would be advised. I would suggest discussing the situation and the management plan in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!