Arthritis Expert Forum
Ganglion cyst on r-wrist/diagnosed osteoarthritis Surgery?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Ganglion cyst on r-wrist/diagnosed osteoarthritis Surgery?

I have had a ganglion cyst on right wrist for about 2 years. In July, 2003, had it drained and had a cortizone shot in the cyst. Felt better for a couple of months. It continued, so saw the hand surgeon. He did an xray, and found osteoarthritis (no cartilage in the wrist joint) in my wrist and did a cortizone shot in the wrist, not the cyst. This was in January 2004. I continued to have problems with the cyst, which is now about 2 inches, bulging on the inside of my wrist, and making manual tasks very difficult. It throbs a lot, haven't been able to play golf. So I saw the hand surgeon again in May 2004. And he said it would not help to remove the cyst, if, as he believes, it is caused by the arthritis in the wrist.. He recommended surgery to take a piece of a tendon in my wrist to use as a spacer between the wrist joints. It would be a 2 day inpatient hospital stay, a cast on my wrist for 4 weeks, and then  6 months of rehabiliation.
Yikes! What do you know about this ?