Arthritis Community
Gout in fingers and legs?

Gout in fingers and legs?

My husband has gout in his foot, no one has ever told him how he can avoid flare-ups. He also has a finger that a Dr. told him he had gout in. That was his first experience with gout. My question though pertains to his knees and legs. He gets very severe knee and leg pain at times to the point where he can hardly walk and can't sleep because of the pain. His knee and leg will get very warm to touch and the knee, calf, and thigh all swell. Our family Drs. did x-rays with his first episode and told him it's not arthritis and there's nothing wrong. If there were nothing wrong, he wouldn't have the heat and swelling. I want him to see a specialist. Maybe it's gout in his knee? wouldn't that show on x-ray like it did with his finger? I don't feel that he's getting adequate care at the family practice and really think he should see an orthopedic Dr. or some specialist. He thinks it's really muscular. I sure could use some advice for him. Oh he's 52 years old and was first diagnosed with gout in his finger about 8 years ago. He also has bursitis in one shoulder.

This discussion is related to First Gout Flare Up.
I would agree with you that he should see a specialist.  Since you already know he has Gout, I would suggest a rheumatologist.  
To reduce flares, a low purine diet is needed as this will assist with the uric acid problems at the root of Gout.  You can find a list of foods that are low, medium and high in purines at http://www.drugs.com/cg/low-purine-diet.html.