Arthritis Community
Gradual knuckle pain in right index finger

I am 16 and for about 3 months I've had a bad pain in my right index finger. It started in the base knuckle near my palm. 2 weeks ago the pain gradually started to move up my finger. It starts to hurt during everyday activities like brushing my hair, taking off caps to bottles/jars, and mostly anything that requires force used by the fingers. The pain also occurs randomly, mostly in the evening and at night.

There is swelling around my knuckle and a small painless bump on the side opposite my palm (i think it might be normal since it's also on my left hand but it's a little bigger on my right). On the palm side of my knuckle there is a vein that seems more visible than usual. It has a purplish hue to it and seems to go up my finger.

The only thing that I can remember that might have caused the pain is cracking my knuckles. I have stopped since it started hurting 3 months ago

I've been icing it for 3 or 4 days and putting Aspercreme on my knuckle and finger. I live in New York but I'm in Florida with my dad for the rest of the summer. My next doctors appointment is in mid September so i don't want to make a big deal about it and go to the ER.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and how to relieve the pain until I go to the doctor?
I found your post searching for symptoms that match yours almost exactly.  I realize this post is more than five months old but I am curious if the pain in your knuckle/finger ever continued or if it got better on its own?  

The reason I ask is this:  I was searching for these symptoms because of my own finger.  Myself, I think I did something while opening a box at work (some of our boxes are glued shut instead of taped) and a lot of what you posted was exactly the same way I feel, when my finger will hurt, (ie: brushing hair, opening something that needs to put pressure on my finger, etc)  

I'd appreciate your own reply.  Thanks and I do hope yours did get better on its own.  
Hi, I know this is now 7 mos. later, but my sister and I have the same symptoms. My sister got a blood test and she has been diagnosed with Rhumatoid arthritis. Because she was told that RA is genetic I am about to get a test as well. I hope both of you are doing well. If you are still experiencing the same symptoms I would suggest you get a test as well. I wish the best to you both!